Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GIMP Resynthesizer Plugin
I tried to install Resynthesizer Plugin, however when I went to Filters/enhance all the tools are greyed out.
Does it work in GIMP 2.10.30? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that it doesn't! If that is true what
would be the last version of GIMP where it works?

I followed the instructions from this video to install it.

https://www.google.com/search?q=How+to+I...PmLCH2As32

Any feedback would be gratefully received.
Thanks
Maurice
I installed a time ago resythesizer on a windows 10 OS in combination with gimp 2.10.30 and have no problem with this plugin. Do you have an image open in gimp while activating the gimp filters ?
Ahhh..Davies Media ...What he says is (largely) correct sandwiched between the BS. Not a bad way of finding the Gimp plugins folder.
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

There is a better version of the Windows plugin. 
Remove what you installed. 
Go here and get the resynth-partha.zip  https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Resynt...7#pid12687  
There is a two minute video (no audio) showing installation.

Unzip it, only the basic files you need resynthesizer.exe resynthesizer_gui.exe plugin-heal-selection.py plugin-heal-transparency.py  which go in the above folder.

I know it works, Windows Gimp 2.10.30 just confirmed for the n..th...time.

However, what denzjos says is correct, for most plugins active you need an open image.
(04-17-2022, 03:41 PM)rich2005 Wrote:  just confirmed for the n..th...time.

I realize that no one asked me,  but the popularity of resynthesizer type functionality does not seem to be withering away.  (just based upon the ever increasing n th as you describe)  And if I recall properly, I believe you stated at one point that Resynthesizer had been orphaned?

I'm surprised the main program developers have not just kinda absorbed the plugin, and made it native to gimp?

(04-17-2022, 06:18 PM)rickk Wrote: ....I believe you stated at one point that Resynthesizer had been orphaned?....
I'm surprised the main program developers have not just kinda absorbed the plugin, and made it native to gimp?

Not so much orphaned as not much (any) developments in the Windows environment. If you follow say, that Davies Media video, it takes you to this: https://github.com/pixlsus/registry.gimp...0-i686.zip which is a 10 year old 32 bit compilation. Fair enough as it is 'universal' but there can not be that many 32 bit Gimp users around these days.

The Parthia version is 64 bit and about as up-to-date for Win as any, unless you compile it yourself. Not difficult to compile in linux, I have a 'colormatch-branch' resynth with a python GUI in place of the regular binary GUI and that is about 3 years old.

I wonder how many actually put resynthesizer to its intended use, making seamless patterns ? I have not seen a query about that in some time. All about the additional 'heal selection' python plugins which I think are invaluable. At the end of the day, it is only a small set of files and Gimp is built around plugins.
I guess that I should just be thankful to have working copies in both my W64 and Linux 32 working environments (the latter of which I am especially beholding to you).

But it just tickled me the way you said "for the n-th time" and it's true.... I see questions here about resynth over and over again.

And, I'd hate to think about having to work without it. There are other means, (clone/smudge etc) but in the 95% of the time where it works flawlessly, it's pretty close to a point and click solution. So it's kind of surprising that the gimp devs have not incorporated similar functionality, into the basic package.

FWIW, as far as my "orphaned" comment, I thought when we discussed some time ago how modern distributions of Linux had dropped python 2 support...I asked if there might be a python 3 compatible update in store for resynthesizer...and I thought someone said that the original developer had gone MIA or similar...

Of course that's no longer a specific need for me personally, that's just where my "orphaned" comment stems from.

(04-17-2022, 03:06 PM)denzjos Wrote: I installed a time ago resythesizer on a windows 10 OS in combination with gimp 2.10.30 and have no problem with this plugin. Do you have an image open in gimp while activating the gimp filters ?

You nailed it denzjos, I didn't have an image open - how dumb can I get!!!  Sad
Thank you for the feedback - much appreciated.
Quote:...and I thought someone said that the original developer had gone MIA or similar...
Of course that's no longer a specific need for me personally, that's just where my "orphaned" comment stems from.

Well, original was 22 years ago by the © date. It has been taken over by Lloyd Konneker (aka bootchk) and he is still active on pixls.us forum

The whole thing will have to be updated / re-compiled for (Windows) Gimp 2.3 By the time that comes out and widely adopted, probably no specific need for me either Wink