Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flicker with each deletion
Bug 
Today I installed Samj's portable version 2.10.32 and after a few minutes of use I noticed a new behavior in this version that doesn't seem normal to me.

Whenever I delete either a layer, a channel or a path everything disappears for a fraction of a second (almost 1 second).

If I have 5 layers and I delete one of them, all layers disappear for a short time, not just the deleted layer.  Sad

Same for channels and paths.

I still have Samj's portable version 2.10.28 installed and in this version when I delete something (layer, channel or path) the rest remains visible. In other words, normal behavior.

Is this a bug in this version (Samj's Portable 2.10.32)?

Are there any tweaks I can try to fix this problem?

Thanks!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Nothing here in a linux Gimp 2.10.32

You need some other samj 2.10.32 user to confirm (or not) the problem. Looking at the samj release notes, it might be a gegl problem - that is just a guess.

I suggest asking on gimpchat and also pixls.us/ where Sylvie does visit.
Bug 
I've noticed better now that this problem happens not only with operations to delete channels, layers or paths, but with any operation that involves these windows.

Merging layers, dragging a layer into or out of a layer group, also makes all layers temporarily disappear.

Just dragging a layer in the layer stack seems to work correctly.

Even creating layer masks, although it doesn't cause the layers to fade, happens slowly.

I will investigate further, but I think the solution will be to uninstall this version and continue with Samj's portable 2.10.28 until the next more stable version is released.

rich2005, thanks for the help!

Edited:
https://imgur.com/C9ei4ps
Long Shot:
It is not a new setting but in Edit -> Preferences -> Interface there are options for Previews. Two Enable layer...settings. If those are unticked does it make any difference ?
(06-25-2022, 11:33 AM)rich2005 Wrote: Long Shot:
It is not a new setting but in Edit -> Preferences -> Interface there are options for Previews. Two Enable layer...settings.  If those are unticked does it make any difference ?

By unchecking these options the layers in the layers window lose their images (the preview), they all look the same. However the problem still persists.  Sad
(06-25-2022, 09:00 AM)rich2005 Wrote: [...]

I suggest asking on gimpchat and also pixls.us/ where Simone does visit.

I asked about it on the blog at https://samjcreations.blogspot.com/ , and was quickly answered. Unfortunately no solution was found.

On the other hand, I just tested the version that I unzipped on the usb flash drive on another PC and luckily the problem did not recur.

The difference is that in the installation made on this PC I used FreeFileSync to transfer some files from version 2.10.28 to version 2.10.32 (patterns, brushes, G'MIC favorites, etc) and I must have done something wrong in this process.  Rolleyes Blush

When installing on the usb flash drive, I didn't make any changes. I unzipped and used Gimp on another PC.

So I'm going to uninstall version 2.10.32 with problem and try to reinstall it from scratch again.