Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp consistently crashing on startup
Hey all, I'm having a bit of trouble here.  A few days ago, Windows 10 decided to do an automatic update, and ever since then Gimp crashes on startup, specifically when updating the tag cache. 

Here's the exact error message.

[Image: ref.png]

Currently I'm using gimp 2.8.22, however when the problem first started happening I was using a slightly older version.  I had uninstalled and reinstalled gimp several times, attempting to solve the problem.  

I don't have any brushes or plugins installed, and I only had one font installed, although I probably don't anymore, since I had deleted every file on my computer with the name Gimp attached to it.

This problem is frustrating to say the least, and I'd greatly appreciate any help.  Thanks!
Rename your Gimp profile (which is left untouched when you reinstall). Restart Gimp, which will recreate a new profile. If it works, you can copy things from the old to the new (and eventually, erase the old one).
(10-20-2017, 06:50 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Rename your Gimp profile (which is left untouched when you reinstall). Restart Gimp, which will recreate a new profile. If it works, you can copy things from the old to the new (and eventually, erase the old one).

I'm afraid that didn't work...  Thank you though.
Problem has already been seen. See https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Gimp-C...On-Startup

Several things to try. If they all fail try installing a different build. They mention "Gimp portable" but a build from Partha.com would work just as well (use a 2.8 build, the 2.9 available there are still development versions).
Thanks once again, but it looks like nothings working.  I tried downloading the build that you mentioned but I'm still met with the same error.

[Image: ref.png]

The strangest part of all this is that I've been using Gimp for about 2 years, and I've never even changed any settings.  I've downloaded one font about a year ago, and that's it.  No brushes or anything.  It was working fine one day, then windows decided to update without my permission, and now it's broken.

Update: Gimp portable isn't working either.
Can you start Gimp with "gimp --verbose"?
Sorry, could you elaborate on that? I'm not sure if I know what you mean by "gimp --verbose". I saw a mention of it in the thread you linked, but I guess I must've missed something.
Not using Windows so cannot demonstrate, but it mostly means editing the shortcut/icon you use to start Gimp, find the "Command" and add a "--verbose" to it.
Rather than edit the shortcut try running Gimp from a terminal using a command like this

Code:
"C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.8.exe"  --verbose > log.txt

Capitals are not important in Windows but the quotation marks and spaces are.

That will get you a log file that you can copy/paste or post a zipped file to the forum.

Demo https://youtu.be/i2-wno4JlMs about 3 minutes

On the other hand, that earlier post involved a separate application, a clipboard, that interfered with Gimp. Are you sure nothing like that occurred?
Thank you very much for the video, that was super helpful.  Here's the log-

INIT: gimp_load_config
Parsing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\unitrc'
Parsing 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\etc\gimp\2.0\gimprc'
Parsing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\gimprc'
Adding theme 'Default' (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\themes\Default)
Adding theme 'Small' (C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\themes\Small)
Writing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\themerc'
INIT: gimp_initialize
INIT: gimp_real_initialize
INIT: gui_initialize_after_callback
INIT: gimp_restore
Parsing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\parasiterc'
Loading 'brush factory' data
Loading 'dynamics factory' data
Loading 'pattern factory' data
Loading 'palette factory' data
Loading 'gradient factory' data
Loading fonts
Loading 'tool preset factory' data
Parsing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\templaterc'
Parsing 'C:\Users\notjohn\.gimp-2.8\modulerc'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-cmyk.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-cmyk.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-water.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-water.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-wheel.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcolor-selector-wheel.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcontroller-dx-dinput.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libcontroller-dx-dinput.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-color-blind.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-color-blind.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-gamma.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-gamma.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-high-contrast.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-high-contrast.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-lcms.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-lcms.dll'
Loading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-proof.dll'
Unloading module 'C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\lib\gimp\2.0\modules\libdisplay-filter-proof.dll'
INIT: gui_restore_callback