Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BIMP Not installing
I've moved my GIMP 2.10.32 installation from my C drive to D drive due to space issues.  Since then I can't get the BIMP add-on to work.

I've run the installer from here (I'm running Windows 10 64bit) but the option does not appear on the file menu.  I've checked my add-on folder location and it is pointing to the correct place.

Any help to get this working would be much appreciated, as I use the add-on regularly and it saves me a lot time.

Many thanks
(02-22-2023, 01:48 PM)Taggs Wrote: I've moved my GIMP 2.10.32 installation from my C drive to D drive due to space issues. 

The first question is How did you move Gimp ? Gimp is fairly portable, you can just copy the whole GIMP 2 folder over and make a new shortcut to D:\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe and Gimp will start. It still uses your existing Gimp user profile in C:...AppData\Roaming

All the original uninstall reg entries remain there which might screw things up so always better to reinstall Gimp using the installer and custom options. That uninstalls the C: installation first before you specify the new location.

Quote:I've run the (BIMP) installer from here (I'm running Windows 10 64bit) but the option does not appear on the file menu.  I've checked my add-on folder location and it is pointing to the correct place.

The plugin is 32 bit for maximum compatibility and the installer puts the plugin in the Gimp system plug-ins folder. Maybe your move has it confused Wink

I can get it working in a Win10 / Gimp 2.10.32 without issue, however to save messing about, I have attached just the plugin bimp.exe Unzip and put bimp.exe in your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

You might want to let Gimp make a new user profile first. Rename your existing as a backup, run Gimp to make a new one. Add the plugin.

Attached Files
.zip   win-bimp.zip (Size: 229.32 KB / Downloads: 175)
(02-22-2023, 02:37 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 01:48 PM)Taggs Wrote: I've moved my GIMP 2.10.32 installation from my C drive to D drive due to space issues. 

The first question is How did you move Gimp ?  Gimp is fairly portable, you can just copy the whole GIMP 2 folder over and make a new shortcut to D:\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe and Gimp will start. It still uses your existing Gimp user profile in C:...AppData\Roaming

All the original uninstall reg entries remain there which might screw things up so always better to reinstall Gimp using the installer and custom options. That uninstalls the C: installation first before you specify the new location.

Quote:I've run the (BIMP) installer from here (I'm running Windows 10 64bit) but the option does not appear on the file menu.  I've checked my add-on folder location and it is pointing to the correct place.

The plugin is 32 bit for maximum compatibility and the installer puts the plugin in the Gimp system plug-ins folder. Maybe your move has it confused Wink

I can get it working in a Win10 / Gimp 2.10.32 without issue, however to save messing about, I have attached just the plugin bimp.exe Unzip and put bimp.exe in your Gimp user profile C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\plug-ins

You might want to let Gimp make a new user profile first. Rename your existing as a backup, run Gimp to make a new one. Add the plugin.

Thank you for your response.

I moved my installation by uninstalling (Control Panel => Programs and Applications) and then running a fresh install.   Cool

I have checked the registry for reference to the original installation but found nothing.

Unfortunately I have already tried copying the exe to \username\appdata.... folder but with no luck.   Sad
(02-22-2023, 03:35 PM)Taggs Wrote: Unfortunately I have already tried copying the exe to \username\appdata.... folder but with no luck.   Sad  

I do not know. Something going wrong with your installation.  If you desperatly need BIMP I would consider a clean install.

Uninstall Gimp and delete any remaining files. You might need to restart Gimp for that.

Delete your Gimp user profile. Backup any resources you might have added - brushes / fonts /scripts /plugins etc before you delete it.

Then I might install like this: https://youtu.be/D-yaCkXszTs  2 minutes.

(02-22-2023, 04:34 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
(02-22-2023, 03:35 PM)Taggs Wrote: Unfortunately I have already tried copying the exe to \username\appdata.... folder but with no luck.   Sad  

I do not know. Something going wrong with your installation.  If you desperatly need BIMP I would consider a clean install.

Uninstall Gimp and delete any remaining files. You might need to restart Gimp for that.

Delete your Gimp user profile. Backup any resources you might have added - brushes / fonts /scripts /plugins etc before you delete it.

Then I might install like this: https://youtu.be/D-yaCkXszTs  2 minutes.

OK, I've uninstalled, deleted the GIMP directory from \username\appdata.... Gone through the registry and removed any reference to GIMP and BIMP.

Reinstalled and hey presto...it's back. Many thanks dude, your time is much appreciated Cool