Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressed text
Yes, more like it.
Thanks a lot Ofnuts. This effect is so nice. I did another trying not to forget the steps. Thanks   Smile

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi Ofnuts!
Although I had some difficulties in following this tutorial, I believe I still got some good results.

Some of the main questions:
1- How to determine the thickness of the character? Using the Measure Tool? But still there are variations in thickness depending on the character, and even in a single character there are parts that are much thinner than others.

2- In post #9 you commented
Quote:"but as far as I can see you didn't shrink the selection before punching the top layer"
- But where in the tutorial is the information about skrinking the selection?

3- In newer versions of Gimp the Filters-Light and Shadows-Drop shadow does not create a new layer.

4- Also the Filter-Blur-Gaussian blur in the latest versions shows different results for the same value used in the older versions of this script.
[Image: 8G6OSiG.jpg]
Thanks for the tutorial!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Gimp 2.10 Version (best done on a 32-bit image to avoid some bump-mapping artifacts):
  • Create/import the surface layer and duplicate it
  • Make sure the top version has an alpha-channel
  • Create the text layer in black and duplicate it. Hide one of the duplicates
  • Fill the background of the text layer with grey 50% (#808080): paint in behind mode, or merge into a layer filled with gray. Hide or move to  bottom of stack
  • Filter ➤ Blur ➤ Gaussian blur and blur the characters about one fourth/one third (in other words, about a third of the character should remain un-blurred (pure black) where the lines are the thickest)  
  • Activate the top surface layer
  • Filter ➤ Map ➤ Bump map and increase the depth.
  • At that point this could be enough for your purposes. If you want something that looks deeper, continue.
  • On the copy of the text layer: Layer ➤ Transparency ➤ Alpha to selection
  • Select ➤ Shrink the selection so that its edge is half-way through the shadows created by the bump-mapping
  • Select ➤ Feather the selection by the width of the same shadows
  • Activate the top surface layer and Edit ➤ Clear to make fuzzy holes
  • Filters ➤ Light and Shadows ➤ Drop shadow. Increase opacity to match the shadow created by the bump mapping, and possibly grow the shadow a bit
  • If using a non-uniform surface you can slightly alter the bottom copy bit to make it look more natural: shift it, rotate it, distort (ripple)...

I didn't really feel confident following this tutorial, but I still liked what I got from my interpretation of it.
[Image: wLCmiyL.png]
Thanks!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.