Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to disable debugging messages console in gimp 2.9 developer
Question 
Hi!

How to disable the command line "DOS" window which pops up every time I launch gimp 2.9.6. I know I did it back in the days of the previous years-old beta but I seem to have lost my notes on gimp and normal internet lookup doesn't boing any clear answers either. Any ideas? I've looked into gimp startup command line parameters. Either I'm blind or there is no solution for me there. I only see the option to enable the console. This should matter really but just in case - I'm currently on Windows 7 64-bit.
(11-22-2017, 10:32 PM)Bucic Wrote: How to disable the command line "DOS" window which pops up every time I launch gimp 2.9.6. ...snip...I'm currently on Windows 7 64-bit.

Using the Gimp 2.9.6 from http://www.gimp.org, it is a very traditional development version. The terminal that opens is very clear, you can minimise it, but not close it. Type anything in it to close and exit Gimp if not already shut down.

If you want to avoid the terminal in Windows you need to use Partha's version of Gimp 2.9.6 which is compiled in the fashion of a more regular Gimp. See http://www.partha.com
Thank you for your reply. It did it. I've just installed GIMP-2.9.6-std-64bit from http://www.partha.com Weird. I could swear I got the 2.9.6 installer from there already. I must be wrong, obviously.

Thank you again! Problem solved.

PS. Yet another weird thing is that after uninstalling the previous installation I've manually hunted down anything with 'gimp' in the name and yet the new installation picked up the previous config I had.
(11-23-2017, 09:43 PM)Bucic Wrote: PS. Yet another weird thing is that after uninstalling the previous installation I've manually hunted down anything with 'gimp' in the name and yet the new installation picked up the previous config I had.

Two things to look for.

The Gimp 2.9.x userprofile is now in C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.9\ and that might be a carry-through from the previous installation.

The first time Gimp 2.9.x runs, if that profile does not exist, one is created and any resources are copied from the older Gimp 2.8.x profile. A good idea to temporarily re-name the Gimp 2.8. x profile first, then back again after that first run.
(11-24-2017, 08:37 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
(11-23-2017, 09:43 PM)Bucic Wrote: PS. Yet another weird thing is that after uninstalling the previous installation I've manually hunted down anything with 'gimp' in the name and yet the new installation picked up the previous config I had.

Two things to look for.

The Gimp 2.9.x userprofile is now in C:\Users\your-name\Appdata\Roaming\GIMP\2.9\  and that might be a carry-through from the previous installation.

The first time Gimp 2.9.x runs, if that profile does not exist, one is created and any resources are copied from the older Gimp 2.8.x profile.  A good idea to temporarily re-name the Gimp 2.8. x profile first, then back again after that first run.

Noted. Thanks for the info!
I'm pretty sure I have removed any *gimp* directories and even hunted for some more by searching for *gimp*.* files. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. The default 2.9.x appearance config was very bad for me so I was positively surprised when I got all of my customizations in place after the new installation. I did decide to do a clean installation but now I think it was absolutely not necessary.