Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Basic print issues (orientation, paper size, etc)
I'm struggling to learn GIMP but inconsistent and incorrect print behavior has been my biggest issue. Often I can't even simply turn the image and print it! I've encountered a range of issues but the biggest issue is that it will not accept any paper/layout changes.

Here is a thread from the old forums where some users were having the same issue:
http://gimpforums.com/thread-can-t-chang...p-settings

The thing is, it seems to be slightly different per-printer.

On my Epson Stylus Pro 3880 (A2 photo printer) I set it to Landscape 13x19" (A3+, SuperA3) and go to print but it reverts to a smaller portrait every time. I recall that this wasn't the case when I first tested over USB but no amount of tweaking and restarting seems to help when using it as a network printer (the way I intend to use it). It doesn't matter what I change in the printer preferences or print dialog.

On my HP OfficeJet 7000 Wide Format I ruined several sheets of expensive paper with the printer printing off the page because of some glitch where changing settings would result in completely incorrect page size until exiting and re-opening GIMP. Even when it is seemingly working and I can print to Legal or Tabloid, the dialog with paper and layout settings always reverts to whatever it's been stuck on when I open it (not always Letter/A4).

My Ricoh C250DN has given me less trouble but even it has had the problem where I have to close and reopen GIMP after several failed prints.

Because of these print issues I have to export and print from IrfanView. I will be printing to very expensive A2 photo papers that I can't afford to ruin so I really hope someone knows a work-around for these issues that doesn't involve rotating the image as an image edit. Thanks!
You are using some sort of Windows, do not know version. Printing from Gimp in Windows is generally broken. The old Gimp 2.6 might be better, Gimp 2.8 has problems.

The bottom line is do not use Gimp for printing. Save your work as a Gimp .xcf file but when complete Export the image as a .png or a .tif

Then, do what you are already doing and use some other application for printing, IrfanView or personally I like XnViewMP. Up to you.

There was a recent post using Win10 + Epson where Gimp used Print-to-the-Microsoft PDF printer then the Win10 default image viewer uses that & prints to Epson.

You can correctly set up a paper size in the MS PDF printer.
(12-12-2017, 05:17 PM)rich2005 Wrote: You are using some sort of Windows, do not know version. Printing from Gimp in Windows is generally broken. The old Gimp 2.6 might be better, Gimp 2.8 has problems.

The bottom line is do not use Gimp for printing. Save your work as a Gimp .xcf file but when complete Export the image as a .png or a .tif

Then, do what you are already doing and use some other application for printing, IrfanView or personally I like XnViewMP. Up to you.

There was a recent post using Win10 + Epson where Gimp used Print-to-the-Microsoft PDF printer then the Win10 default image viewer uses that & prints to Epson.

You can correctly set up a paper size in the MS PDF printer.
Yes. Dual-booting Windows 10 and Windows 7. Problems don't appear to be specific to any version of Windows. Thanks for the suggestions!
I finally found out what's happening with Printing in Gimp. I use 2.8 so i don't know if the same goes for any newer Version.

Its all about the gpd - files! Basically Gimp only supports the standard options for paper size 

So if any Vendor has written specific sizes into the driver (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...aper-sizes) or you try to use custom sizes (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...aper-sizes) Gimp will allways revert to the last standard size that was used.

So what is the solution?

Obviously you can only ever use standard paper sizes. But what if your printer vendor didn't provide the standard size you would like to use?

The trick is that "page setup" will let you choose the paper size according to the standard printer. 

Just go to "Print" and right click any printer and set it as standard printer. Maybe you will find one that lets you choose your needed size. When you double check and it sticks you're fine.

The Trick works because the selection will even stick if you print with another printer or even if you change the standard printer.

If you change the standard printer and open "page setup" you will maybe see another paper size, but as long as you dont click on "OK" your old selection should stick.

I always double check if everthing is fine by looking into the "image settings" in the "Print" Dialog before hitting print. If the Resolution is as i intended it to be everthings fine, if not i know something is up!

If you dont find any printer with the right standard size, you need to edit the gpd file. 

I used the "Microsoft Print to PDF" Printer as found in the tutorial "microsoft-print-to-pdf-custom-paper-sizes-possible" (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...0af24a7b37). 

Find the standard paper sizes you would like to use (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...rd-options) and add them to the gpd. 

It seems that Gimp don't care what size you define in the gpd file, it will always use the standard size defined my microsoft.

tldr:

Gimp only can use microsoft standard paper sizes - set standard printer to choose from paper sizes - if you dont find one that works for you - add standard format to gdp file of microsoft print to pdf

EDIT:
It seems gpd and ppd don't mix. If you use a postscript printer (like my epson photo 1400) you will have to find the ppd-file and tinker with the page sizes there. Key seems to be to only use microsoft standard page size options. Further investigation needed...
I got printing size problem in A6 and A3+ (other formats not checked) with GIMP 2.10.14 (and previous vesion).
My printer is an Epson SC-P600 / Windows 7.

When using the command "File... Page size", GIMP is updating the file "print-page-setup" which is located in C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\

I am using the following workaround.
1/ I do not use the command "File, Page size..." any more.
2/ I always print in portrait mode (if necessary, rotate the image by 90°)
3/ I am just updating the setup file myself using files like the following :

They are created in the folder of my choice.
Command file "A3+.BAT" to be executed in place of "File, Page size..."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Echo off
Echo #
Echo # Setup folder : C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\
Echo #
Copy "print-page-setup-A6" "C:\Users\(user)\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\print-page-setup"
Echo #
Echo # [print-page-setup] updated set to A6
Echo #
Pause

Setup file "print-page-setup-A3+"
(I just patches a copy of the existing setup file)
------------------------------------------------------
[print-page-setup]
PPDName=
DisplayName=A3+
Width=329
Height=483
MarginTop=0
MarginBottom=0
MarginLeft=0
MarginRight=0
Orientation=portrait

To print in A6, I just followed the same procedure by creating two other files ("print-page-setup-A6" and A6.BAT)

Good luck !

Pierre
Thanks you so much, Pierre!

This works a treat! I can finally use Gimp to print everything i need!