Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First impression
Recently saw screenshots on GIMP's Official Twitter.

To be straightforward, thanks for ruining the user interface with that corporate-idealist flat design, hard to recognize de-colored icons and the mockery of the new Photoshop UI.

Now please tell me, how to restore old themes, icons and layout of GIMP 2.8.
Edit->preferences

Under the Interface area is where you can change the theme and the icons.

OF course you can set the windows up however you want.
(12-15-2017, 10:24 PM)highbaser Wrote: Recently saw screenshots on GIMP's Official Twitter.

To be straightforward, thanks for ruining the user interface with that corporate-idealist flat design, hard to recognize de-colored icons and the mockery of the new Photoshop UI.

Now please tell me, how to restore old themes, icons and layout of GIMP 2.8.

Tend to agree with you. If you have monitor & brightness correctly set, the darkest themes are terrible, almost unusable.

However, the theme is changed same as in Gimp 2.8 
Edit -> Preferences -> Interface -> Themes 
The only difference is the icon set is now separate.

This my Gimp 2.9.9 

edit: A reminder, not obvious from my Gimp 2.9.9 appimage screenshot

The Gimp 2.9.x profile, where all the usual folders are kept is
linux ~./config/GIMP/2.9/
and for Windows C:\Users\Appdata\Roaming\Gimp\2.9

Put you own theme there then use Edit -> Preferences
Thumbs Up 
Hi everyone,

Im the Noob! Cool (installed Gimp 2.8 and then 2.9 yesterday!)

I personally like the new look of Gimp 2.9 a lot!! Smile

I'm using PS since over 20 years now (I started with PS version 2.5 Big Grin ) and tried Gimp a couple of times before, but always gave it up because of the (in my opinion) waaaay to "clumpsy" and colourful UI. In my opinion the only coloured thing in an Image Editor Software should be the artwork! The UI should be as decreet and "invisible" as possible.

Yesterday I saw a screenshot of 2.9 and immediatly had this "WOW... must have that now impulse"!

The new iconset adds this little bit of "sexyness" to the program that a good Image Editor needs... For me creativity starts with cool and good looking Tools... if the Tool looks uggly its hard to make "good looking" artworks. I mean its an art-tool!! Of course thats only personal taste... Tongue  

I hope I can replace PS with Gimp this time and use it in my production pipeline!

Have a nice day!
cya
I like to sometimes work with both PS and Gimp open at the same time.   When I need a tool from one or the other, I transfer layers back and forth.  Some things are simple, like tiled blurring is in Gimp by default, and sometimes I need a full color animated brush.  I have lots of great free scripts and plugins that do very specific things in Gimp.  I do them in Gimp and transfer it back to PS, because PS has the great layer adjustments.

I love reading the never-ending arguments between Gimp vs PS.  Personally I don't really understand it, since Gimp is free and anyone can use it.  It is much more advantageous to use them both.