Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Option to display rgb 0-255 instead of %
I understand that greater than 8 bits per channel the values will be much more than 0-255.

But I'm working with a program that is requesting RGB 0-255 values.  The problem for me is if I am in 8 bit precision, then it is a hassle to constantly convert 0-100% to 0-255.

Is there an option somewhere to change the display to 0-255 instead of 0-100?

Attached Files Image(s)

I think the developers have gone a bit over-the-top with all the color/layer mode options. Nothing obvious in the preferences. A very vague memory of something about 0-255 versus 0-100% That could have been the color-picker tool where the info box has both options, but that does not help with the FG/BG color selector.

I had a good search around and nothing that I could find.

Best I can suggest is use the HTML notation which is a little quicker than individual RGB entry. 
Using an external converter, you might have a favourite, attached a bash script (remember to unzip it) that runs in a terminal.
Obviously, no good if using Windows Wink
I have this in usr/bin Maybe there is a similar Gimp plugin/script somewhere, I do not know.

[Image: bcgHbNC.jpg]

Have an RGB value, copy & paste into HTML notation
Want percentage colours to RGB - use HTML value to RGB

Attached Files
.zip   color-converter.zip (Size: 985 bytes / Downloads: 236)
Ok thanks that is better than me using the calculator
Hello,
I have a similar request.. I really need the eyedropper tool to give me more precision.  The true value 0-255 would be best.  But I can only see percent rounded to integer, which is only 100 values.  Whereas the screen capture of the foreground color tool from a previous post shows floating percent.  Even that would be very good.  How can I select that option?
Thank you!
Have you tried the 2.10 version? The color picker produces decimal values, even when showing the colors as 0-255, if you have an image if sufficient precision (in 8-bit, it will obviously always be integer values).
(04-24-2018, 08:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Have you tried the 2.10 version? The color picker produces decimal values, even when showing the colors as 0-255, if you have an image if sufficient precision (in 8-bit, it will obviously always be integer values).

The problem is that pixel values 101 and 103 both produce 40%, rather than 39.6% and 40.4% respectively.  But I see now that there are options in the Pointer menu to specify Pixel or RGB, so as long as the Pixel option is always available, I'll just continue to use it.
Uh? In Gimp 2.10?

I've just installed 2.10, and will give it a try. Also, I have 16 bit images with close distinct values which the eyedropper tool in 2.8 shows the same value. I think 2.10 will fix that. Thanks!