Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening a 300dpi JPG changes to 72ppi?
(04-11-2018, 07:08 PM)Ilpoxi Wrote: Ok, thanks both for answers. Now I remembered I have Corel PhotoPaint that wes mentioned above Smile I opened there a 300dpi JPG exported from CorelDraw, and surprise surprise, both Y and X dpi-s are 300. So, now I'm convinced. And I might continue using Corel PhotoPaint instead of Gimp since I have to be sure about the image quality. Besides, when exporting a JPG from Gimp, there is a checkbox "Optimize" under Advanced Settings arrow, which is "hidden" and checked. So the quality will be optimized what I don't like. But now I know the checkbox.

The image quality is not the DPI... The image quality is the size in pixels. The DPI is merely an "intent" for the print size. The only case where it really counts is when the image comes from a scanner, since it lets you print the image at the original size.

Optimize has nothing to do with the image quality, from the doc:

Quote:optimize:
If you enable this option, the optimization of entropy encoding parameters will be used. The result is typically a smaller file, but it takes more time to generate.

The options are all explained here.. Besides Quality the options that have an impact on the image accuracy are:
  • Smoothing: quite a lot
  • Subsampling: quite a lot too on some images, but also the setting that has the biggest influence on file size.
  • DCT Method: a little

Can you tell what subsampling your software is using? It is rarely set to "None" in most image editors.

Any setting can be made the default.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Opening a 300dpi JPG changes to 72ppi? - by Ofnuts - 04-11-2018, 07:48 PM