Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Noob] Blending
Running: GIMP 2.10.6

Upon watching a video on Youtube about creating a flare in GIMP, I came across a snag when using blending modes other than "Normal." The video explained that Screen blending changes opacity based on the brightness of pixels in a layer. However, in practice, this was not at all what happened.

Here's what I'm trying to do: get rid of the darkest pixels in a picture, leaving them transparent, while keeping the brightest ones.

When the Background layer's colour was black or white, every blending mode affected the image the same, changing the transparency of each pixel at the same rate regardless of its brightness. When the background layer was transparent, every blending mode other than "Normal" just made the image layer invisible regardless of the percentage I'd set the Opacity slider. Honestly, I don't really know what to do here. I'm kinda getting worked up about the whole thing. I know I'm a noob, I've looked everywhere, and even though it seems straightforward I can't seem to get the thing to work.

Messages In This Thread
[Noob] Blending - by JosephBw - 09-09-2018, 05:00 PM
RE: [Noob] Blending - by rich2005 - 09-09-2018, 05:45 PM
RE: [Noob] Blending - by JosephBw - 09-09-2018, 06:13 PM