Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
macros vs script-fu vs python-fu
Absolute Beginner here, to python & to scripting/macroing/extending GIMP.

I had a vague remembrance that GIMP is "scriptable", and the term "macro" came to my  mind.

After considerable googling, I've about decided that "macro" is an inaccurate term, and "extending GIMP" is the correct terminology (although I tend to think of "extending" as adding new features more then simply automating the features that already exist).

I've also about decided that "script-fu" and "python-fu" are "the" automating options; I'm unsure if either is built-in, but I didn't notice these options in my Gimp's "Filter" menu until I did, on my Debian box, "aptitude install gimp-python". Not saying they weren't there; I just didn't know to look for them until after I added gimp-python to my computer.

So my first question (with more to come under different posts): Am I getting close to understanding the terminology/concepts for automating steps in GIMP? To give you an idea of where I'm trying to head, I just added a bunch of numbered labels to 28 people in a photo:

[Image: 0?ui=2&ik=02ec0251fe&attid=0.2&permmsgid..._jmw7lnq11]

I did this manually by creating 28 layer groups, one for each label, and then on one layer drawing an ellipse and bucket-filling it, and then creating a text layer centered on the white ellipse. Afterward I realized that this repetitive process could probably be automated. My next questions will tackle various aspects of this task, but first I just want to make sure I'm understanding the concepts/terminology.

Thanks!

--
Kent

Messages In This Thread
macros vs script-fu vs python-fu - by DebianFanatic - 10-06-2018, 08:22 PM
RE: macros vs script-fu vs python-fu - by Ofnuts - 10-06-2018, 09:33 PM
RE: macros vs script-fu vs python-fu - by Ofnuts - 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM