Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brush issues with 2.10
Hi, i was wondering what's the issue with the quality of the brushes while painting on different layers and painting with white. I'm still using Gimp 2.8, but I've also installed a portable version of 2.10, because it's easier to switch between the two in that way. I have tried out the newest original version, and the same issues occur there as well.

When you create a new transparent layer, and you paint with the Paintbrush Tool, there is a difference in painting comparing to a layer with the full (let's say white) background. Brush strokes seem to be more indexed-like, with reduced dithering on the edges. Examples bellow, one on the left is on the layer with a white fill and one on the right is on a new transparent layer:

[Image: 2ljgqrb.jpg]

[Image: vxc0b4.jpg]

[Image: 2hnou2f.jpg]

Especially, when you lower the opacity and you want to build up a volume of a shade, it just looks horrific when it's indexed out.

Second problem is with using the white color. White is always indexed and non-dithered in comparison to black, no matter the situation. Also, far more stronger, especially if you are shading with lower opacity. It takes for black way too longer to build up volume, while white is strong at even 1% of opacity. Here are some examples of the white:

[Image: 24obksw.jpg]

[Image: 29y615w.jpg]

And here it is in the interaction with the black, you can see the difference in the dither:

[Image: acs6rb.jpg]

[Image: 54cdh0.jpg]

These are all default 25 or 50 hardness brushes, all new options are left untouched. Needless to say, all of these issues are non-existent in 2.8, and I have no complaint to the quality of the brushes there. It's not just with the Paintbrush that this occurs, but also with the others including the Eraser Tool.

So is this something that happens with anyone else or is it just me? I'm using Windows 10 and all of my drivers are up to date. If this is suppose to be a normal change, then I have to say that it is a major setback comparing to the 2.8 and I can't understand why was this downgrade necessary for something that worked almost flawlessly.

I have another issue when it comes to the white color, and that is when you want to remove it in Color to Alpha option, where the removal is way too strong and out of proportion, but I've managed to 'fix' that by changing layers to Legacy. I might start a thread just for that issue in the future.

So, I don't know is it just me or does anyone else have these issues? As I've already said, these are non-existent in 2.8, and that is the reason (among some other) why I still can't completely shift to 2.10. Quality is just reduced while painting and/or shading.

Thanks.

This is how it looks like to build up volume with Paintbrush Tool while on a new transparent layer, and let's say, around 20-25% opacity. It just looks messed up, and it cannot go any darker from that although I'm using black color. It just doesn't build up in these central areas, no matter how many times you go over:

[Image: dm42mf.jpg]

There is just no way that this is supposed to be a 'normal' behavior. Or I'm missing something out of the new options.

Messages In This Thread
Brush issues with 2.10 - by gimpuser23 - 10-13-2018, 01:14 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by rich2005 - 10-13-2018, 01:55 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by gimpuser23 - 10-13-2018, 02:38 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by rich2005 - 10-13-2018, 03:28 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by gimpuser23 - 10-13-2018, 04:26 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by rich2005 - 10-13-2018, 04:36 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by gimpuser23 - 10-13-2018, 07:27 PM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by mholder - 10-15-2018, 12:24 AM
RE: Brush issues with 2.10 - by gimpuser23 - 10-15-2018, 01:23 AM