Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Look ma, no plugins: the "Freaky details" effects, using of-the-shelf Gimp 2.10
(09-13-2021, 10:00 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: [...]
Pretty sure that your technique can be made easier by using the adequate layer group. All these techniques are mostly subtracting a blurry version of the image from the original to keep only the sharp components... (in other words, they are mostly impovements on "Unsharp mask";

Taking that into account, here with the use of a layer group:

01- Duplicate the original layer;
02- Create a layer group and move the copy to that group;
03- Duplicate this copy;

04- Among the layers within the created group, select the top one and change its mode to Extract grains;
05- Apply to Selective Gaussian Blur - defaults;
06- Set the layer group to Linear Light mode;

What would be a good technique to reduce the noise generated by this technique?

Sharpness highlighted in the main object of the image is welcome (it is actually the object of this technique), but at the expense of producing noise in the adjacent areas.

I try Wavelet-Denoise and Smooth Anisotropic under a mask created with the technique described at https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-How-to...3#pid25483 . Not a bad result, but I think there could be a better technique for reducing noise without compromising the desired sharpness.

I don't mean the technique of creating the mask, but the selective use of noise reduction filters.

P.S.: 
In the image used in this post, the situation is a little simpler, as the original image has practically no noise and can serve as a basis for a mask applied to the layer where the noise reduction is applied. But this will hardly ever be the case.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Look ma, no plugins: the "Freaky details" effects, using of-the-shelf Gimp 2.10 - by Krikor - 09-14-2021, 02:13 PM