Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Scale for specific colors (like blue and pink, for Synthwave or Retrowave)
Fellas, I figured it out!

Okay, so, it's a multi-step process, and actually doesn't require any GMIC usage (which is handy because my computer's version of OpenGL is so old, it can't run GMIC).

First, you load an image into GIMP as normal. For demonstration/educational purposes, I'm using the following picture of a space station from Getty Images:

Create a duplicate of the layer, and then turn off the visibility of the bottom image:

Set the foreground and background colors to whatever you'd like. For this Synthwave-style art, I'm using:
Blue Foreground: #1b00fe
Pink Background: #ff1bcf

Set the Gradient tool setting to "FG to BG (RGB)":

On the active (upper) layer, go to "Colors">"Desaturate" and click "Lightness (HSL)":

After that, with the upper layer selected, go to "Colors">"Map">"Gradient Map":

Then on the same (upper) layer, set the mode to "Overlay", then turn the visibility on for the bottom layer:

Turns out, it's actually a relatively simple process.

I'll try to do a screencast of myself doing it, but I probably won't be able to, because, again, my computer is so old, it runs OpenGL 2.x, so I most likely can't.

Anyway, I hope somebody else can get some benefit from this!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Color Scale for specific colors (like blue and pink, for Synthwave or Retrowave) - by ktaherig - 04-10-2019, 10:07 AM