Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Photo effects to mimic MS Word
Hello good folks, 

After spending several hours experimenting with various guides/how to's I have reached the conclusion that my approach/search for tutorials may not be correct. GIMP has lots of cool ways to do things but may not be applicable for simpler tasks, added to this many of the tutorials online are out of date with key menu selections no longer available,

My quest is to find something similar along the lines of MS Word picture formatting, this takes an image which you can then apply borders, angles and reflections amongst others - this worked well when creating user manuals with stock photos, just removes that glaring amateur 'photo look' (see below)

Applying the refection to photos through GIMP takes a little too long, instead have opted for the 'shadow' effect as in the tutorial below.

Couple of issues, first when selecting the 'cut' menu selection to apply rounded corners the whole image disappears, and secondly when exporting to PNG using another tutorial the end file ends up too big for web use (rejected by ebay for example).

The issue with the whole image being removed is the same on at least two tutorials but earlier GIMP versions.

Thinking of a workaround, I tried importing into Word then screen shot, that worked okay-ish but lost some of original clarity/resolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRollf6OQWs

Ideal image 

[Image: 2019-03-06.png] 

Thanks in advance.

rich, you have replied here (post 7)  - will check this out as very similar.

https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Deleti...ection-Why

Messages In This Thread
Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-06-2019, 06:23 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Ofnuts - 03-06-2019, 07:33 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by rich2005 - 03-06-2019, 11:32 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-07-2019, 12:58 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-08-2019, 09:14 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by rich2005 - 03-08-2019, 10:08 AM
RE: Photo effects to mimic MS Word - by Green Pig - 03-09-2019, 01:53 AM