Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit?
Pat625 -- you know that I'm no expert -- but I don't believe 32-bit vs 64-bit matters with the Scheme SCM and Python PY scripts.  Their hang-ups seem related to the version of GIMP.

The plug-in EXE files are more hardware-related and there is a difference.

This is found at https://superuser.com/questions/358434/h...on-windows

====================

The author writes:  " ... I came up with a solution which is fast, easy, and only requires a text editor. Even Windows' default notepad.exe would work.

1. Open the executable in text editor. You might have to drag-and-drop or use the editor's Open... dialog, because Windows doesn't show Open with... option in context menu for executables.

2. Check the first printable characters after the first occurrence of PE. This part is most likely to be surrounded by at least some whitespace (could be a lot of it), so it can be easily done visually.

Here is what you're going to find:

x86:     PE  L

x64:     PE  d†

A word of warning: using default Notepad on big files can be very slow, so better not use it for files larger than a megabyte or few. In my case in took about 30 seconds to display a 12 MiB file. Notepad++, however, was able to display a 120 MiB executable almost instantly.

This is solution might be useful in case you need to inspect a file on a machine you can't install any additional software on."

====================

Me again:  The PE designation in the files I've looked at comes soon after "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."  A screenshot using Notepad++ to display the top of the EXE file:

There's also the Properties Compatibility information.  But it seems to offer nothing more definite than if the file is compatible with Windows NT it's probably 32-bit.

So there's then only the descriptive comment by the provider of the EXE file.  Older GIMP plugins that have been updated to 64-bit often have "64" appended to the filename; the same plugin without the 64 in its EXE file name is most likely 32-bit.

Since beginning with GIMP I've only used 64-bit machines.  Outside the GIMP environment I have a number of applications that are described as 32-bit but work fine on my 64-bit machine.  A number of others simply don't work at all and have to have a 64-bit version.  I don't recall ever being able to run 64-bit programs on a 32-bit machine.

Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit? - by Pat625 - 06-30-2019, 11:21 PM
RE: Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit? - by neurolurker - 07-01-2019, 02:11 AM
RE: Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit? - by rich2005 - 07-01-2019, 07:41 AM
RE: Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit? - by Ofnuts - 07-01-2019, 10:25 AM
RE: Script/Plug-in a 32 or 64 bit? - by rich2005 - 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM