Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Copy/Paste from Inkscape into Gimp and keeping transparency?
Hello Smart People,

I really need help. I’m trying to recreate and tweak a pattern tile that I originally made using Illustrator and Photoshop. 

I saved all the AI files as svg’s before I ended my subscription with adobe. (All line drawings) They’ve been working well in Inkscape, I’ve also added new images I made using the pen tool in Inkscape, now the problems starts when I try to copy and paste to Gimp. They lose all transparency, both old and new drawings.
I’ve tried the normal cut and paste, paste as new layer, duplicate and paste (everything that can be found on google search). I tried opening the svg file in Gimp, I tried saving as a png and opening in Gimp. 

(I need them transparent so I can layer the images over each other)

I eventually selected and exported each individual line drawing as a png, then opened each as new layer in gimp, they are now transparent line drawings. But when I scale up the induvial drawings they get blurry, I’m guessing it’s because they are no longer vector lines, (which is why I tried to make them vectors in the first place). They were scaled to the right size that I need when I exported them in inkscape, but are very small on the canvas in gimp which is the same size) 
So either I need a solution to enable the png images to be scaled UP or figure out why my vectors aren’t copy and pasting into gimp as transparent.
I'm using windows 10, with 64 bit, and Gimp 2.10

(Please don’t suggest I redraw them in gimp because this is weeks and weeks of work, and need the pattern in the next couple of days) I’m not the most computer literate person, so please give very detailed instructions for solutions (I work best with pictures)
TIA for any advice and help. 
JJ

Messages In This Thread
Copy/Paste from Inkscape into Gimp and keeping transparency? - by jjenortje - 07-05-2019, 09:34 AM