Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Issues with known valid characters displaying as rectangles sometimes and not others
(07-27-2019, 09:58 AM)rich2005 Wrote: No updates, but you always have to ask yourself -was working earlier, not working now, what changed between times New application installed? Some changes to an existing application? I wonder where visual studio fits in this?

Yup, my thoughts exactly.  I looked high and low for logs and other evidence that something was installed/updated behind the scenes. The only thing I could find was the Visual C compiler -- I couldn't tell if the libraries changed.  The only other thing that occurred to me is that I did reboot my machine between the time everything was OK and the time it went bad, which should have no effect on this.  (I seldom reboot it -- usually only once every  month or two.)

Anyway, after I saw this reply, I was off my computer for a few days and had to catch up on some other stuff when I got back on.  In the middle of that time, I rebooted my computer. I don't know if it's relevant, but it's the only thing that's the lease bit interesting. 

Yesterday I sat down to work on this issue, and the issue was entirely gone. It's the first time I used it since I rebooted.  My GIMP 2.10.12 installation, which was problematic before i was off my computer, no longer has problems.  The little rectangles are gone and the text is back.  I found this very interesting. 

I have no ideas if the uninstalls / re-installations I did were a factor or not.  As a long-time developer and kernel hacker, I HATE bugs that mysteriously appear and then later disappear!  But for now, that's all I can do.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Issues with known valid characters displaying as rectangles sometimes and not others - by krobins - 08-09-2019, 06:50 PM