Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
union two or more layers without duplication?
Blighty
Im not putting down GIMP, not at all!  Just want to click on a button to do a union, lol or join, or whatever between layers, like i can in Silhouette software, you can download that for free even if you dont have the machine.  Maybe you can see what i mean?  I understand what you mean.. and doh!  yeah in silhouette its nothing more than lines..... ah.. yes.. 

rich2005
Thank you i will watch it.  Yes love free help!  I used to give the free help when i was younger too, was once a guru of blender, years ago in a far off land (before they used it to make the first movie with it).  I havent played with this for years, and when i need something i just used the old 'photo draw'?  i love that its so easy, of course many things it cannot do.  

Etch a sketch, lol.  My grandparents gave me one of those, i wanted it so much, and WHAT A PAIN  it was.. lol, how old was i then.. i dont know when it came out. lol yeah oldie here.  

I just need to learn it, as you say it really is powerful, i will never learn it all before im gone, lol.  And then there is the short term memory loss o.0

Take care and thank you!

rich2005
you made the pattern for me! i was ready to make it too, thank you so much, its perfect! I watched a video for how to make a simple pattern just dots, and thought this would be a challenge for me.. I thought what you gave me was a pic of the one brush stamp, and i would need to work on it. lol, but then i saw, it was the pattern.

Thank you, very much

(08-14-2019, 08:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...I thought gimp was more advanced then it is.  I understand the work arounds, and will learn them.. wondering how you put in a request for some new gimp coding.  its there for selections.... now it just needs to be for full layers...

Gimp is a great application full of features. I have been using it since version 2.2 and still do not know all the ins-and-outs. Not many things in this world you get for free, including advice. Even etch-a-sketch costs.

Want to union selections to remove the over lap? One way is shown here. 

Direct link: https://youtu.be/jq9KM3p1ZJQ  duration about 3 minutes.

No layer masks in this but using layer masks is something you should try and grasp. It is non-destructive. Who knows when you might come back to an image to make adjustments.

Edit:
I use a pretty sloppy way of selecting just a layer, that is the way I do it.  (select -> all picks the whole canvas regardless of active layer not true, do not know why I wrote that: although no way to choose a mode). 
Digging through my old files, there is a script for just selecting the boundaries of an active layer. Attached. It might be useful to someone.
Menu entry is bottom of the Select menu. The usual, unzip. Put layer-to-selection.scm in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

I was trying to select  select the tiled layer and change its color, but every time it would jump down to the bottom/first layer and change the color there and then jump up back to the tiled layer.  I did it over and over watching it jump down and back up.  Cant remember what i finally did to color, it.  By jump down and back up i had the tiled layer selected, and when i colored it, cant rem what i was using, it changed the color on the first background layer, then the highlight jumped back up to my selected tiled layer.  Maybe that script would have helped me.  thank you.

(08-14-2019, 08:47 AM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:...I thought gimp was more advanced then it is.  I understand the work arounds, and will learn them.. wondering how you put in a request for some new gimp coding.  its there for selections.... now it just needs to be for full layers...

Gimp is a great application full of features. I have been using it since version 2.2 and still do not know all the ins-and-outs. Not many things in this world you get for free, including advice. Even etch-a-sketch costs.

Want to union selections to remove the over lap? One way is shown here. 

Direct link: https://youtu.be/jq9KM3p1ZJQ  duration about 3 minutes.

No layer masks in this but using layer masks is something you should try and grasp. It is non-destructive. Who knows when you might come back to an image to make adjustments.

Edit:
I use a pretty sloppy way of selecting just a layer, that is the way I do it.  (select -> all picks the whole canvas regardless of active layer not true, do not know why I wrote that: although no way to choose a mode). 
Digging through my old files, there is a script for just selecting the boundaries of an active layer. Attached. It might be useful to someone.
Menu entry is bottom of the Select menu. The usual, unzip. Put layer-to-selection.scm in C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\scripts

wow, just watched this, Thank you so much for explaining it all.  Might want to leave it up for others to find too!

Messages In This Thread
RE: union two or more layers without duplication? - by Human3 - 08-15-2019, 01:41 AM