Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stylizing GtkNotebook Tabs in Theme (gtkrc)
Hello,

I actually subscribed to ask you guys this, but frankly I don't know if this is the right forum. If not, I would appreciate some pointers to the right place(s). Thanks in advance.

Long story short (and for the name of the loving God) I cannot find which widget corresponds to the tabs of a GtkNotebook in the gtkrc file (and hence to the GimpDockbook, since according to the docs it inherits the styles of the GtkNotebook).

With lots of trial & error attempts, I figured that the widget_class "*<GtkNotebook>.<GtkWidget>.<GtkLabel>" affects the labels of the tabs (their text title) but what I'm after is how to highlight the active tab, as shown in the Gtk2 docshttps://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/notebook.png (that little blue stripe, at the top of the active tab)

Btw, the full docs are here: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk2/stable/...ebook.html

I can colorize the actual pane of the active tab (the white area in the image above), as well as the background color of the inactive tabs., But I cannot find how to make that little highlight at the top of the active tab.

The funny thing is that I had done that, like 6 years ago, in a collection of themes for Gimp 2.8 I had released on DeviantArt. I had many requests to update them for v2.10.1x, which I kindly declined, because I have never dealt with the GTK2 theming engine since then.

However, like a week ago, I decided to give it a go (using Gimp 2.10.18) but I found that things I've done in the old themes do not work now (most probably because GTK+2 has evolved since then and/or because newer versions of Gimp probably use some things differently).

I've almost finished a Dark theme for Gimp 2.10.18, for which btw, v2.10.20 broke the ComboBox drop-down lists style. Most notably the appears-as-list property (which has been reported as problematic and it's deprecated in GTK3). In Gimp 2.10.18, with that property set to FALSE, all ComboBox drop-down lists were using the styles of the menus, so they were looking like popup menus. You know, the ones with the scrolling butons at their top and bottom, like the list of the layer Blend Modes in v2.10.18. In Gimp 2.10.20, regardless of how I set the "appears-as-list" property, all ComboBox drop-down lists look like regular TreeView lists, and once again I cannot find how to disable the border/shadow around the popup: https://prnt.sc/sz5e7a

So, that's a second thing I would like to know how to solve, if possible.

I've tested Gimp 2.10.20's default dark theme, and I confirmed that indeed the layer Blend Modes list has been brought back to be a regular list (its appears-as-list property is set to FALSE, but changing it to TRUE doesn't make any difference, just like it doesn't with my theme anymore). The reason it looks as a popup menu is because the default themes overlay everything with images (found in the ./ui/ folder). I guess going for uniform looks across different OSes, so menus and TreeView lists are both using the same background image. But if you look for it you will see that in Gimp 2.10.20 the layer Blend Modes list does NOT have top & bottom scrolling buttons. Instead, it uses a regular vertical scrollbar, so it is a just a list.

Please excuse my long post, I tried to be as precise as I could, about my questions. Once again, if you know a better place I should ask, please let me know.

Greetings to all!

Messages In This Thread
Stylizing GtkNotebook Tabs in Theme (gtkrc) - by migf1 - 06-13-2020, 06:41 PM