Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
databending and raw import settings
Wow, I’m glad to see other people are interested in this! I can give a few more tips:

If you want to, you can skip the step of exporting a .data version from audacity. I’ve been able to get gimp to read directly from .wav files and it works fine.
Also: I don’t know why, but I seem to get the best results with mono audio saved as stereo wav. Straight up mono wav files always seem to come out too short for me- unfortunately, only one channel of sound is preserved when you use a stereo file. So: use mono audio, but save it as a wav with two channels, and then when you go to re-import it to audacity, choose 1-channel(mono). If you want to edit in stereo, you can repeat the process for each channel. I have some ideas on how to join two channels for editing processes and then separate them, but I haven’t developed them yet.

So:
1) export mono audio as a stereo wav.
2) open gimp import window, click “show all files.” select your wav, then select file type as raw image data.
3) set image type as “gray 16-bit little-endian,” set image width to a multiple of 20, adjust height until you see blank space at the end.
4) flip image vertically (if you want it played forward and without reverse granular slicing) and make edits.
5) export as bmp.
6) import into audacity as 16-bit unsigned long, adjust speed if necessary.
   I haven't perfected this process, and wonky results can be just as interesting as a clean transfer, so feel free to experiment with variations on this.

I’m linking to a visual and audio sample, per ofnuts’ request. I used the warp tool for editing.
https://soundcloud.com/belgiumlimp/prepg...al_sharing

I have another question pertaining to this process, but I'm not sure whether to start a new thread for it. It has to do with logarithmic color storage- since digital images are stored logarithmically, and wav data is stored linearly, I find that there's often a positive or negative skew in my final wavs after making edits, especially edits where colors get blended, brightness-contrast adjustment, etc. Is there a way to correct for this, or change how Gimp manages color values?

Messages In This Thread
RE: databending and raw import settings - by belgiumlimp - 04-16-2022, 03:03 PM