Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browse by Thumbnail (Windows)
Lightbulb 
After reading many posts that suggest that it's not possible (or even desirable) to browse and open images by thumbnail from within GIMP, I put together this method which allows me to work in the same way that I did in PaintShop Pro (before it became to slow and messy to use).

The way I like to work is that from within PaintShop, I type <Ctrl-B> to bring up a thumbnail browser, browse to a folder, then double-click on a thumbnail to edit that image.  I also like the browser to remember the same folder next time I type <Ctrl-B>.

What I've done to achieve this is:

1. Install an external app that allows thumbnail browsing.  I've found that "Unifie" does exactly what I need as it is focused more on the thumbnail browsing rather than actual editing.
2. In Unifie, open the Tools>>Options dialog and add GIMP as an external program.  In my case "C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\bin\gimp-2.10.exe".
3. In the Unifie Tools>>Mouse/Keyboard dialog, change the "Popup Window" - "Click" entry to GIMP (External Tool N).
4. Now, download and install "AutoHotKey". This is an app for creating keyboard shortcuts.
5. Create a file called something like "AutoHotKeys.ahk".  I keep mine in "My Documents". Put the following text in it:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe gimp-2.10.exe
    ^b::
    Run, "c:\Program Files\Unifie\unifie.exe"
    return

6. Type Win+R and enter "shellConfusedtartup".
7. In the folder: "C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup", create a shortcut to your AutoHotKeys.ahk file.
8. Log out and back in.

The AutoHotKeys script should now run when you login.  The script tells windows to run Unifie when you type <Ctrl-B> from within GIMP.

I hope others find this a useful addition to what I'm finding to be a very useful free program.

Dave

Messages In This Thread
Browse by Thumbnail (Windows) - by Gimposaurus - 12-27-2020, 12:25 PM
RE: Browse by Thumbnail (Windows) - by rich2005 - 10-17-2021, 10:21 AM
RE: Browse by Thumbnail (Windows) - by zeuspaul - 10-17-2021, 08:15 PM
RE: Browse by Thumbnail (Windows) - by PixLab - 10-18-2021, 09:03 AM
RE: Browse by Thumbnail (Windows) - by zeuspaul - 10-18-2021, 08:57 PM