Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selection disappears when made floating
(07-06-2021, 01:57 PM)samalfredsson Wrote: Thanks for all the answers and sorry for not be able to describe the issue that well! The main issue is that the selection (marching ants) disappears when I make the selection floating, however a floating layer is still created but if I use that to create a new layer and then use "Alfa to selection" I only get a I only get a rectangular selection around the area of my original selection. This was not the case previously, then I got my original selection back.

Thanks for the proposal to use paths for this, sound like that might be a better solution!

Hmm. If I select then copy/paste:
  • After I paste, I have  a "floating selection" layer, but I still have the marching ants
  • If I do Layer ➤ To new layer to convert the floating selection to a normal layer, the selection is indeed removed, but I can do Layer ➤ Transparency ➤ Alpha to selection to recover it
Looks like your selection is just invisible, check View ➤ Show selection (Ctrl-T). And if its dashes are not moving, the "rectangular selection around the area of my original selection" is just the layer boundary (when you copy/paste, the layer created is just big enough to hold your selection;  in technical terms, it is the "bounding box" of the selection).

Also, you don't need to convert your selection to a path to save it (this is only correct if you have a sharp and anti-aliased selection, and if you are not too worried by a slight loss of accuracy). The always correct and completely accurate way to save a selection is to use Select ➤ Save to channel. To restore your selection, open the Channels list, right click the saved selection, and Channel to Selection. See here for more details.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Selection disappears when made floating - by Ofnuts - 07-06-2021, 10:50 PM