Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bucket fill with a Pattern
If I'm trying to bucket fill one specific area of a drawing with a pattern, the pattern always seems to "index" itself from the upper left hand corner of the entire  drawing, and not just within the specific area.

The gist of this question is, is there some easily adjusted setting that I am missing that will tell the pattern to index itself within the fill area, and NOT the entire drawing?

To illustrate....here is a pattern... note that the left edge is blue, and the top edge is red

[Image: Fe2sp84.png]

And here is my canvas, with the desired  fill area being inside the black box

[Image: NWu7x4f.png]

And, when I bucket fill the black box, I get this (example one)

[Image: QGk0AUb.png]
Whereas, what I would prefer to get is this (example two)

[Image: sHjXURr.png]

The reason that Im getting example one is because behind the scenes, gimp is indexing the pattern with the upper  left hand corner of the drawing ....like this

[Image: e5rErS6.png]

I've found laborious work arounds such as selecting the target area and copying it to a completely new image, making the bucket fill on the new image and then pasting that back to the original drawing....but I just wonder if there is an easier way, one that instructs the bucket fill operation to index itself  off of only the area that it will be painting to?

Granted, the way it currently works is very nice for when you have to make alterations to a filled area, and have to patch back-in after the alterations,  but I do find it desirable to target the pattern to the intended fill area often enough that a solution is worthwhile too. 

Clearly these illustrations are only intended to illustrate the concept, and not part of any final work

Thanks in advance

Messages In This Thread
Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-08-2021, 07:12 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by PixLab - 10-09-2021, 06:30 AM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by PixLab - 10-09-2021, 09:54 AM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 02:49 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 05:52 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rich2005 - 10-09-2021, 06:37 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-09-2021, 08:12 PM
RE: Bucket fill with a Pattern - by rickk - 10-10-2021, 05:37 PM