Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'mic problems?
(12-05-2021, 12:15 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I have a feeling that the problem might just be the actual knoppix system.  It is 32 bit, and depending on your computer might leave memory a little tight.

Well,  just for closure...PROBLEM RESOLVED!! (just in case anyone reads these old threads)

And it wasn't shortage of memory, and it wasn't due to any "deficiency" of my 32 bit architecture  Wink

And it really wasn't a problem with gimp, although circumstances made it appear that way.

The solution that ended up working is when "gimp" is hung up after closing g'mic....merely opening up task manager and and finding a lingering g'mic zombie process, selecting the process and killing it. released gimp with the work process in tact.

And that was the real nature of the beast, if I was working on a drawing, and edited  with g'mic....sometimes when closing g'mic it appeared to cause gimp to freeze, no menu functionality at all, and the only path forward was to force gimp closed, losing any work in progress.

But, even though g'mic appeared to be closing normally, it wasn't.  In fact it was continuing to appear as an active process, along with a script-fu..   But, killing g'mic allows the script-fu to close also...AND FULL FUNCTIONALITY OF GIMP IS RESTORED.

No more lost work!!

After reading your earlier suggestions, I added 4 Gb of ram, and that didn't improve this specific problem,  so I started reproducing the problem with gimp opened in a terminal session, and observing reported conditions step by step...noticed a specific malloc error immediately upon creating the "hung" condition.

And of course what I know about programming you might be able to fill a thimble with, but upon googling the exact error message,...  pointed me a number of times to software development forums where the point of discussion was centering upon careless implementation of the qt innerface....usually something about failing to clear the memory properly upon program exit.

And since I was experiencing the exact problem upon exit of a qt based program....it made enough sense to live with. As they say, the pieces seemed to fit.

Do I have any expectation that the developer might find and eventually fix the problem? I'm happy to say that really no longer matters......my problem with lost work has been solved, that's all that matters to me.  Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-03-2021, 05:54 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by PixLab - 12-04-2021, 01:33 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 08:34 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-04-2021, 11:09 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 04:22 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rich2005 - 12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 04-05-2022, 12:42 AM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-05-2021, 07:18 PM
RE: G'mic problems? - by rickk - 12-12-2021, 04:24 PM