Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scanning directly into GIMP 2.10.24
Ok folks, I'm a noobie so please go easy on me??? Know that I would not be posting this question without first doing the research first, as you will see below.I am using the Brother MFC-J491DW Wi-FI printer/scanner.

I have Ubuntu 21.10 Impish distro and to accomplish my task, reading told me to download and install XSane (ver. 0.999) and quiteinsaneplugin-0.3. All the pages I read tell me to merely "copy the (plugin) files" to GIMP's plug-ins folder and it should work now.

Firstly, which files? quiteinsanegimpplugin comes with three different layers of files (Admin/quiteinsanegimpplugin and 19 loose files not in a folder. One of those files in the README file which says "Please see quiteinsanegimpplugin/docs/en/index.html" which no longer exists.)

Secondly, copy them to where? GIMP 2.10.24 has no obvious Plug-ins folder that I can find after much research online (Why doesn't the GIMP User Manual have a "Search" function? Obviously, it's just not practical to have to wade through hundreds of pages to find a simple search term.).

Okay, back to the net where I find http://www.fifi.org/doc/xsane/html/sane-...p-doc.html which seems to be uselessly outdated as it is assuming I am using gimp-1.2.x: with the commands to: 
Quote:ln -s /usr/local/bin/xsane ~/.gimp-1.2/plug-ins/
You can start xsane from the GIMP menu File/Acquire.

It talks about "creating a symbolic link" to a USR/local/bin/xsane ~/. .gimp/plug-ins/ which, though I haven't yet learned how to do but can look it up if absolutely necessary to accomplish the task. However...
Folks, I am a photographer and graphic artist. Do I really need to be a computer programmer too to accomplish what should be a simple task? Is there truly any easier way to just get GIMP to see my scanner. XSane does.

Messages In This Thread
Scanning directly into GIMP 2.10.24 - by sonnystarks - 02-12-2022, 06:27 PM