Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost a Bit of 2.8 with Recent Upgrade
(03-15-2022, 04:41 PM)Jude48 Wrote:
(03-15-2022, 02:35 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:Can anyone remind me what was on the bar at the top when you opened a pic in Gimp 2.8 which I had before.
This is a comparison of Gimp 2.8 and Gimp 2.10 See https://i.imgur.com/2RmPeRH.jpg  Top is Gimp 2.8 as it installs - multi-window mode Layer Gimp went straight to single window mode same as using the Gimp menu Windows > Single Window mode.

There is not much difference, the main one is the tool groups, (1) click -> hold -> drag up and down the pop-up menu. Tools group can be un-grouped in the Preferences menu.  More tabs under the tools (2) The main one is the tool options. Keep that open to see the tool settings. Otherwise brushes dock and layers dock  are swapped for no real reason. 

Quote:There was something called Script Fu, and to the left of that was another program that I used to use which I just cannot remember the name of. When you opened it up it had a list of options, one was Photos, click that and about three options opened, one offered two types of sharpening - intelligent sharpening was one of the two.

These are additional scripts that you had installed in Gimp. A lot of the old scripts do not work correctly in Gimp 2.10 but some have been fixed. A good site for these is   https://www.gimphelp.org where you can get your smart sharpening script.  https://www.gimphelp.org/sharpness_sharp...arpen.html  Probably the find the other ones you want there as well.

Download that, put it in the gimp profile scripts folder....and there lies a possible difference...which Gimp installation do you have ?
The Gimp from the Mint 20 repositories is 2.10.18 then there is a 'flatpak' Gimp 2.10.30 Nothing wrong with either of those except scripts go in different places.
Gimp 2.10.18 is ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts/  where ~ is you home folder and .config is a hidden (starts with a dot) folder. Make sure you turn hidden files on in your file manager It is ctrl-H in Mint.
The flatpak Gimp 2.10.30 is even more hidden away ~/.var/app/org.gimp.GIMP/config/GIMP/2.10/scripts

hope this helps.

Many thanks Rich, it's taking me a while to work through the new stuff with my new Mint 20.3, and on top of that a new version of Gimp - 2.10. I'm afraid for many years I've only been used to simply using the computer, my ex-husband looked after all the inner workings, installations, programs and problems. I'm now on my own and don't know a thing about how it all runs behind the scenes, but I'm trying to learn in a hurry! Thankfully my local computer shop has a guy who works on Linux if I get completely stuck. 

I suspected that the script that I can't remember the name of on my old version of Gimp was an addition my ex put on for me. Never mind, it seems to be the only thing I really miss at the moment. I will definitely check out the smart sharpening script at gimphelp.org.  I've copied your message down so I can keep it handy and refer to it. Thanks again for your time and info it's really appreciated!  Smile

There are also more advanced filters in 2.10 that can likely do a better job than your script...

Messages In This Thread
Lost a Bit of 2.8 with Recent Upgrade - by Jude48 - 03-15-2022, 01:21 PM
RE: Lost a Bit of 2.8 with Recent Upgrade - by Ofnuts - 03-16-2022, 10:12 AM