Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to install plugins/scripts in folders?
(06-29-2022, 02:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: One difficulty with samj's portable is there is no way of opening a terminal when starting with one of the launchers, but they are needed to set the Gimp environment, paths etc. No way to see error messages.

I know in the past you have moved your whole User Profile over between installations. From what I see, on first run of Gimp it adds to the Preferences folder your specific settings - those xxxrc files. In particular pluginrc which holds the plugin registrations.
samj provides a clean.bat which removes all those xxxrc files but sometimes deleting pluginrc, start Gimp and let Gimp re-register your plugins helps. https://i.imgur.com/M9BVxD4.jpg

I initially ran Gimp with the files in the Preferences folder without any personal modifications.

So I slowly made the changes.
I only changed the templaterc, controllerrc and sessionrc files. Other files/folders were kept unchanged.
At this point, after the above modifications, no issues were found.

So I started adding content to the folders brushes, brushes_storage, curves, dynamics, filters, fonts, fonts_storage, gradients, gradients_storage, MyPaintBrushes, palettes, palettes_storage, patterns, patterns_storage.
No problem after making the above changes.

When I added the contents of the plug-ins folder, the problem initially appeared, and in the Preferences folder two .svg files were created that seemed to contain some information with an error.

I deleted these two files, deleted the entire contents of the plug-ins folder, ran Gimp and had no problems.

However, I just repeated the previous operation, re-adding the contents of the plugins folder, and this time, strangely, I didn't notice the problem. The two .svg files that were created before were not generated either. * These .svg files had already appeared in previous tests and were always deleted *

There were some folders that were created when I unzipped the original .7z from Gimp, but were not created when I removed the Preferences folder and ran Gimp. So I added these new folders:
file-raw, ui, tags, menus, images, icons.

➤ ➤ ➤➤ However, the problem clearly manifested itself after adding the contents of the scripts folder.

I have no idea why since in my version 2.10.28 I use exactly the same files.

(06-29-2022, 02:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: It might be time to reset your additional plugins and scripts. I do not see why anything that works in Gimp 2.10.30 should not work in Gimp 2.10.32 Adding one plugin at a time is very safe but should not be necessary.

A simple set-up, an 'extras' folder with sub-folders for plugins and scripts placed in the Preferences tree and added to the folders paths must work (mustn't it ?)  https://i.imgur.com/xI4t7A7.jpg  Filled a plugins folder with old and dubious plugins, they work no problem.

In fact, since the last time you suggested me how to organize my installation I already do that. In addition to adding the files inside the Preferences folder (which I didn't do before), I also use an 'Extra' folder that I named PluginUso.

(06-29-2022, 02:53 PM)rich2005 Wrote: One problem might be that sync application you started using, might scramble things. I am a great believer in having 'extra' resorce folders in a more convenient place but when it comes moving plugins / scripts in and out, I do go back to a two-window file manager.

Looking at your animations, I have know idea why the layer dock refreshes slowly. Icons are large, is it the same with small icons ?

I totally agree. I tried to speed it up and used that Sync, even though I had a few hours between when I downloaded it and when I started using it.
But this time, I'm doing it manually, transferring the files from one window to the other.

It was one of my first doubts. So I checked, and the size of the preview used is indifferent; enourmous, Giant, or the smallest of them all exhibited the same slowness.

(06-29-2022, 02:34 PM)PixLab Wrote: You can go faster by adding full folder by full folder, then you got a problem when just adding a folder, remove that folder, and continue your tests with others folders,
Then if no more problem with others folders go back to this specific folder, the one you got problem ➤ and with this one go file by file Wink

It's what I've done. I arrived in the scripts folder.
Almost 100 files.
I will divide them into groups of 10 and do the verification.

Thank you for your help guys!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to install plugins/scripts in folders? - by Krikor - 06-29-2022, 05:38 PM