Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repeated crashes after working fine for weeks
Totally weird. Late yesterday I went on a different Z620 and installed GIMP on a VirtualBox Win machine. No problems.

This morning I was going to try a restore point and if that didn't work I'd do a system backup from 2/18/2021 (yes - I actually do system backups to a USB drive). But I thought let's try GIMP one more time after an AppData rename for roaming and local and a reinstall. Now it's working. The VirtualBox machine also doesn't error out any more and GIMP works on it. Even the MC works although it seems to have a hiccup with one of the mouse clicks - I'll just record another file. I doubled checked the "C" drive with sfc and a complete "C" drive WinDef scan - nothing of note. In an eyeball comparison the old and new roaming look the same.

Since the VB machine works obviously something that it was pointing to was also "busted" just like the native hardware.

If this happens again I'll uninstall NVIDIA nView because I don't really use it as my U3011 monitor is all I need. If still "busted" then uninstall, do the AppData renames or deletes and then see what happens.

Windows - do I "love to hate it" or "hate to love it"?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Repeated crashes after working fine for weeks - by oldserverguy - 02-26-2021, 05:15 PM