Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gimp 2.8.22 How do I crop to a Free Selection?
(05-29-2022, 05:27 AM)sallyanne Wrote: First you need to make sure your image has an alpha channel. Then after your selection, invert selection and delete. Depending on what you are doing you may want to feather your selection a little first as well.

You will still have a rectangular canvas but the ouside of your selection should be transparent now. Gimp doesn't do other than square or rectangle. Can be made to look otherwise though Wink
Then if you want a black line around your pencil go selection to path - go back to the selection menu and turn off selection then - stroke path  - make sure your foreground color is the colour you want to stroke.
Oh I forgot, if you want a transparent background after, do not export as a jpg. Export as a png.

Thanks, Sallyanne! I figured out a different way to get my pencil, but I KNOW I will be back here reading your answer, probably several times! I still have the rest of my logo to create! Wink

(05-29-2022, 09:23 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: "Crop" in Gimp means cutting the image into a rectangle, so in your case, "Crop to selection" takes the smallest rectangle that contains your selection and crops the image to it.

To extract the pencil, two ways:

1) Delete the rest: Layer > Transparency > Add alpha channel (if not done already), Select > Invert (so that you select the background) and Edit > Clear to delete the background.
2) Copy to another layer: Edit > Copy, Edit > Paste, and Layer > To new layer (Ctr-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Shift-N)

Note that either method won't give a truly satisfactory result (there will be a halo with the old background). But we will come to this later.
Thanks, Admin Ofnuts! SUPER HELPFUL!!! I'm going to be back here reading this as I create the rest of my business logo! Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Gimp 2.8.22 How do I crop to a Free Selection? - by Songbird - 06-04-2022, 04:42 AM