Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto update
(03-15-2023, 01:29 PM)oldePole Wrote:
(03-14-2023, 10:35 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: AFAIK there is no auto-update in Gimp.

According to this, the auto-update could be some security software trying to get you a better version, in the hope that vulnerabilities have been patched.

Yes this is exactly what's going on. However it's my employers security programs doing this. I've asked around and found out this new and in proved security idea is starting to cause problems with customer software. Some of our customers use certain versions of software to install and configure their equipment and automatically deleting the old version without prompting. This is starting to result in late deliveries of the customers equipment. Our IT people think they can just push their policies with out consulting with our Engineers to determine if the changes will cause problems.

Thank you!!!!!!

As a person who has been occasionally on the other side of the fence... sometimes they discover major vulnerabilities in old software. These old versions won't be fixed and the fix will only be to recent versions if not only the latest. And in that case everyone has to upgrade hastily, without having the version overlap that lets one get used to the new features. So the auto-updates are a way to make users never too far from a fixable version.

And when you say...

Quote:I know where everything that I use is

...this also implies that you don't know what you are missing. 2.10 introduces much better and more efficient ways to do many things...

Messages In This Thread
Auto update - by oldePole - 03-14-2023, 09:10 PM
RE: Auto update - by Ofnuts - 03-14-2023, 10:35 PM
RE: Auto update - by oldePole - 03-15-2023, 01:29 PM
RE: Auto update - by Ofnuts - 03-15-2023, 05:22 PM
RE: Auto update - by NoemiDillon - 03-15-2023, 07:43 AM
RE: Auto update - by Ofnuts - 03-15-2023, 05:27 PM
RE: Auto update - by PixLab - 03-16-2023, 03:35 AM