Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
From Gimp to Inkscape and Back
(11-18-2017, 11:12 AM)Espermaschine Wrote: Nice video !
I like that you show how Gimp and Inkscape can work in unison and swap back and forth paths !

BTW, instead of converting text into a path, ungroup and 'Combine', you can just 'Union' and get the whole process i one step instead of three.

What i would have done differently is exporting the text as a bitmap instead of a path.
For example when making a brush bitmap, i would never import the path into Gimp, i would just use the exported bitmap.

Its true on the other that sometimes importing a path into Gimp has benefits. Especially when Gimp can do things with paths, that Inkscape cant (sadly that happens quite a lot).
Hello!
Sorry, but AFAIK, neither 'Combine' nor 'Union' in Inkcaspe would work for importing 'Text as path' (nor any path with 'holes' like O or subpaths like i) into Gimp. 
After converting text into path in Inkscape and breaking the path:
 -- union will cause de inner boundaries of Os and such to disappear--just like as if one put a lesser circle into into a larger one and asked for 'union' (boolean math)
 -- combine, when the single path is imported into Gimp, with show many subpaths out of place (interior circle of O , P..., dot of i...)

This doesn't mean that your text canot be re-imported correctly, as shown:

In the picture, the texts below are real fonts, with the paths as exported to SVG, while above are the paths as edited in Inkscape, re-imported and filled.
I did it like this:
After doing my editing (dynamic outset --> object to path + editing the path for the inline, straight path editing in the 2nd example)
  1. Break path apart (and do not mind if your path is filled and you see some strange effects)
  2. Save, WITHOUT touching the document layout from the imported default
  3. In Gimp, go to the Path tab and click 'Import path', SELECTING in the import dialog 'Merge imported paths' AND NOTHING ELSE.
Thus, if you re-import into the same XCF from which you exported, you will find your edited path in the same place as the old one, and with the correct dimensions  Wink

Messages In This Thread
From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by rich2005 - 11-18-2017, 10:43 AM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by carmen - 11-05-2018, 08:47 PM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by rich2005 - 11-06-2018, 09:44 AM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by carmen - 11-06-2018, 12:59 PM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by carmen - 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by rich2005 - 11-06-2018, 01:36 PM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by carmen - 11-06-2018, 01:48 PM
RE: From Gimp to Inkscape and Back - by rich2005 - 11-06-2018, 01:59 PM