Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marketing say GIMP won't work for our organisation
Hi folks

I'm looking at how we can use GIMP for some of our departments who need to do some basic image manipulation. Currently we have a Marketing and Digital team who use Adobe products to produce templates for invitations to our events. These are then sent to individual departments running the various events. The events departments then edit the invitations a bit before sending them out. As the templates are being produced in Adobe, we are now getting constant requests for new Adobe licences from these other departments and our costs are spiraling!

I asked the question of our Marketing and Digital team about if there was anything that would prevent these other departments from using GIMP, bearing in mind that they would only need to make minor edits. The Marketing and Digital team would still stay on Adobe, since that's what they've worked in for years, plus they work with various external parties who all use Adobe. I can live with that. There's always a lot of resistance to any kind of change at my organisation, so I was expecting a negative response. They fed back the below:

Quote:GIMP is a cutdown Photoshop alternative so offers functionality for pixel based raster image manipulation. It doesn’t, however, offer accurate colour matching/correction or the range of file outputs that we’d need as standard for digital invitations or print production. If, for example, I had a supporter’s vector logo, I’d have to convert it to an SVG to open it in GIMP. 

I don't know a whole lot about GIMP or photo editing in general. My question is, is the above accurate? Are there workarounds, or plugins that would mitigate this? I'm meeting with the Marketing and Digital team on Friday to discuss and I'd like to have some more insight before I do. In my view, surely GIMP will meet most of the requirements for the small changes that the other departments make?
If your costs are spiralling, talk to an Adobe rep, they must have enterprise licenses.

Gimp isn't a cut-down PS. It is an image editor that doesn't try to be a PS clone. Interoperability with PS is minimal (and AFAIK you edit text from a .PSD file since this text becomes a raster layer in Gimp).

IMHO using a raster editor for invitations is a bad idea anyway, this is typically done with a typesetting application, which in the Open Source word is typically Scribus, even though could can likely go along way with a plain document editor (MS Office or LibreOffice).
(02-21-2019, 10:38 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: If your costs are spiralling, talk to an Adobe rep, they must have enterprise licenses.

Gimp isn't a cut-down PS. It is an image editor that doesn't try to be a PS clone. Interoperability with PS is minimal (and AFAIK you edit text from a .PSD file since this text becomes a raster layer in Gimp).

IMHO using a raster editor for invitations is a bad idea anyway, this is typically done with a typesetting application, which in the Open Source word is typically Scribus, even though could can likely go  along way with a plain document editor (MS Office or LibreOffice).

Thanks for the reply Ofnuts. I've already spoken to Adobe and managed to secure really good pricing. The issue we have is that we've gone from circa 4 seats to over 25 and more users are requesting it. I've put a freeze on new seats until I can see if GIMP will suffice.

We use Adobe InDesign for the invitation design at the moment, but we are a charity so we get Publisher at a huge discount. Again, this is something I want to raise. Why are we using a paid for product when we could leverage our reduced cost option?