Gimp-Forum.net
Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: General questions (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-General-questions)
+--- Thread: Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background (/Thread-Putting-pictures-side-by-side-on-a-New-created-background)

Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background - Barbara Buffington - 05-30-2017

I have a Sierra operating system on my MacBook Pro and followed the tried and true procedure, of placing pictures side by side in a New image background, exactly the way I've done it time and again, but now it doesn't work that way any longer. I attached a screen shot of what appears when I attempt to move images, with my cursor and the 'moving'[attachment=561] icon clicked on, which doesn't work. There are two weird little symbols next to my white cursor that move along with it on the page. One is a tiny serrated black circle with a line through it and the other is a little box that has itsy-bitsy loops all around its inner sides, which makes it look a bit like a picture frame with a white center. The photos won't budge from being piled on top of one another no matter what I do. A total of three pictures are layered over each other, because I can't move them, even though there's more than enough image space on the New white backdrop I created for them...??? Can you, or anyone, figure out what has changed to make this process impossible to perform and the features/functions that worked previously now inoperable? I make comparisons, between similar items, on a regular basis and need to be able to employ the side by side picture technique for that purpose. Please help rectify the problem I'm having. Thanks...

RE: Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background - Ofnuts - 05-30-2017

[Image: 9svtSpa.png]

(and also of course because you have no selection mask set, so nothing to move)

RE: Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background - rich2005 - 05-30-2017

Welcome to gimp-forum.net

ah.. ninja'd by ofnuts no matter

The problem is you are using the move tool in selection mode

[attachment=563]

Click on the first icon to put the move tool into layer mode and because the images are stacked initially enable move active layer
That will enable you to select a layer (a photo) and move it around. Select the other layers as required.

[attachment=564]

10 out of 10 for taking a photograph of your computer Wink

RE: Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background - Barbara Buffington - 05-30-2017

Thanks so much, Rich, your explanation was great and I got it.  Frankly, I don't remember ever seeing that particular Tool Option, in the past, or having to click onto the Layer Mode, previously.  Well, I won't forget to after this. 

Thanks for the photo compliment.  I tried doing a standard screen shot 1st, but the symbols and cursor didn't appear at all, that way, so I was forced to get my little Canon camera out.  The glossy screen on my Mac didn't cause the problem I expected it would.  I just shot the picture at a slight angle to avoid glare and Voilà.