Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting pictures side by side on a -New- created background
I have a Sierra operating system on my MacBook Pro and followed the tried and true procedure, of placing pictures side by side in a New image background, exactly the way I've done it time and again, but now it doesn't work that way any longer. I attached a screen shot of what appears when I attempt to move images, with my cursor and the 'moving'[attachment=561] icon clicked on, which doesn't work. There are two weird little symbols next to my white cursor that move along with it on the page. One is a tiny serrated black circle with a line through it and the other is a little box that has itsy-bitsy loops all around its inner sides, which makes it look a bit like a picture frame with a white center. The photos won't budge from being piled on top of one another no matter what I do. A total of three pictures are layered over each other, because I can't move them, even though there's more than enough image space on the New white backdrop I created for them...??? Can you, or anyone, figure out what has changed to make this process impossible to perform and the features/functions that worked previously now inoperable? I make comparisons, between similar items, on a regular basis and need to be able to employ the side by side picture technique for that purpose. Please help rectify the problem I'm having. Thanks...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: 9svtSpa.png]

(and also of course because you have no selection mask set, so nothing to move)
Welcome to gimp-forum.net

ah.. ninja'd by ofnuts no matter

The problem is you are using the move tool in selection mode

Click on the first icon to put the move tool into layer mode and because the images are stacked initially enable move active layer
That will enable you to select a layer (a photo) and move it around. Select the other layers as required.

10 out of 10 for taking a photograph of your computer Wink
Thanks so much, Rich, your explanation was great and I got it.  Frankly, I don't remember ever seeing that particular Tool Option, in the past, or having to click onto the Layer Mode, previously.  Well, I won't forget to after this. 

Thanks for the photo compliment.  I tried doing a standard screen shot 1st, but the symbols and cursor didn't appear at all, that way, so I was forced to get my little Canon camera out.  The glossy screen on my Mac didn't cause the problem I expected it would.  I just shot the picture at a slight angle to avoid glare and Voilà.