Gimp-Forum.net
SLOS-GIMPainter - Printable Version

+- Gimp-Forum.net (https://www.gimp-forum.net)
+-- Forum: GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-GIMP)
+--- Forum: Extending the GIMP (https://www.gimp-forum.net/Forum-Extending-the-GIMP)
+--- Thread: SLOS-GIMPainter (/Thread-SLOS-GIMPainter)

Pages: 1 2 3

SLOS-GIMPainter - rich2005 - 06-24-2020

A set of brushes / dynamics / presets specifically for Gimp 2.10.20  These largely replicate the mypaint brushes but in native Gimp format.  Aimed at the more artistic Gimp user.

You can download and the read notes, view example videos at https://github.com/SenlinOS/SLOS-GIMPainter

I tried out in kubuntu linux Ok there and a quick try with a Win10 Gimp 2.10.20. Installation at its most basic. Copy the SLOS folders to the respective (brush / tool-presets / dynamics) User profile folders. Example for the brushes.

[attachment=4574]

You can access the presets bottom of the Tool options menu but depending on screen size a separate dock works well with icons.

[attachment=4575]

Obviously a lot of work has gone into these resources.

RE: Senlin GimpPainter - SenlinOS - 06-28-2020

Thank you for posting the news. I also want to post on the forum Smile
(updated README file of the project)

Also, my name is SenlinOS, and the project name is SLOS-GIMPainter.

GIMP-Painter used to be a modified version of GIMP. But it has stopped updating.
(So you can't write the wrong name. When I named my project, I made a distinction.)

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - meetdilip - 06-28-2020

Nice to meet you @SenlinOS Smile

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - SenlinOS - 06-29-2020

(06-28-2020, 02:40 PM)meetdilip Wrote: Nice to meet you @SenlinOS Smile

Hello ~

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - meetdilip - 06-29-2020

It feels nice to meet people who have done impressive work which normal users like me get to use Smile

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - Ritergeek - 06-29-2020

(06-24-2020, 09:52 AM)rich2005 Wrote: A set of brushes / dynamics / presets specifically for Gimp 2.10.20  These largely replicate the mypaint brushes but in native Gimp format.  Aimed at the more artistic Gimp user.

You can download and the read notes, view example videos at https://github.com/SenlinOS/SLOS-GIMPainter

I tried out in kubuntu linux Ok there and a quick try with a Win10 Gimp 2.10.20. Installation at its most basic. Copy the SLOS folders to the respective (brush / tool-presets / dynamics) User profile folders. Example for the brushes.

You can access the presets bottom of the Tool options menu but depending on screen size a separate dock works well with icons.

Obviously a lot of work has gone into these resources.

FOREWARD: This question should be addressed to SenlinOS, but I can't find a way to delete the post and reposition it.

I'm dying to give this package a try, but I'm new to Github projects and confused about how and what to download. The installation instructions begin after the point of downloading. Do I need to download each of the three folders and five files? The files below the folders are not mentioned in the installation instructions. What do I do with those?

Let me back up. I created an account with Github, but I'm completely flummoxed about how to download these files. Do I need to download each one separately or can I get the full package in one click?

Then the folder structure eludes me. Do I need to create three /home/USER/SLOS-GIMPainter folders? I'm using Win10. Rich mostly explains this, but the chain still has a missing link or two. Sorry to be so dense.

I've been downloading and installing apps since downloading replaced installation disks and it's always been simple.  Perhaps the instructions on the Github project page can expand the installation instructions. 

I look forward to some real fun and fantastic results as soon as I get this laced in.

Wink

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - rich2005 - 06-29-2020

SenlinOS is the person to go into details but the following might save some time for you and others.

Quote:I created an account with Github, but I'm completely flummoxed about how to download these files. Do I need to download each one separately or can I get the full package in one click?

You do not actually need to create an account or log-in (unless you need to report a bug)

[attachment=4598]

Click on Clone then Download and you get a zip archive of all the files you see in the listing.

Quote:.Then the folder structure eludes me. Do I need to create three /home/USER/SLOS-GIMPainter folders? I'm using Win10.

For the quick test I did in a Windows10 (VM) I just put the three (brushes / dynamics / tool-presets) folders straight into the appropriate folder 
C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Roaming\GIMP\2.10\brushes  (or dynamics  or tool-presets)

The Readme file suggests putting those 3 folders somewhere, C:\User\ "yourname"\SLOS-GIMPainter\'folder'  would be the place and then in Edit -> Preferences -> Folders adding those paths to to the ones in 'brushes' / 'dynamics' / 'tool-presets'

edit: In fact you could unzip the archive which gives SLOS-GIMPainter-master/ rename that to SLOS-GIMPainter and it already contains the three folders.
There is a video link on the Github site with installation demo about a minute in.

If you are not sure how to add these paths just ask.

Linux users can do the same. Put the 3 folders in the home partition. ~/SLOS-GIMPainter/brushes ~/SLOS-GIMPainter/dynamics ~/SLOS-GIMPainter/tool-presets

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - Ritergeek - 06-29-2020

With another half hour of searching and fiddling around, I got most of the way there. I can access the brushes. Optimizing the dock the way it is in the video is another challenge I'll save for another day.

Here's what I found out:
  1. Github uses the term Clone in place of Download. So, click Clone and the rest will be obvious. Apparently you do not need a Github membership to do this.
  2. This wasn't a stumbling block, but worth mentioning. My Win10 file system has an extra layer inside c:\USER\AppData\Roaming\GIMP. Somewhere along the line it acquired a 2.10 folder between GIMP and brushes, etc. Once there, it was clear what to do. Except ...
  3. I was not able to find that folder by browsing inside Edit > Preferences ... To avoid a long string of typing, I copied the path from the Windows folder, but only to the 2.10 level. I pasted that into the GIMP add a folder field and typed whichever I was copying over, i.e. brushes.
I still do not know what to do with the I_Straight-Line.svg, O-Perfect-Circle.svg, or X-Radial-Ruler.svg files or how to use them.

Results from fast and dirty experiments with these new brushes are fantastic. I'm eager to sample more. Thank you SenlinOS for a brilliant addition to GIMP. [Image: wink.png]

Now to go find a tutorial on managing dockers and arranging my desktop.

Thanks Rich. Our replies must have posted almost simultaneously. So glad they agree!

I had watched the video, but the installation part starts after everything is downloaded and popped into folders. That's the part where I got stuck. I did refer back to that after I got the files in place and it was helpful.

For things like this, I do best with step-by-step written instructions. Videos are great for showing how to use tools.

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - SenlinOS - 06-30-2020

I thought everyone knew how to download!
Ok ~ I'll update the README file.

RE: SenlinOS SLOS-GIMPainter - SenlinOS - 07-01-2020

NOTE:
1. I didn't install SLOS-GIMPainter by copying the corresponding directory to the GIMP-Profile-Folders. Because the Checkbox cannot be canceled. (maybe you will accidentally modify the default parameters), (And GIMP-Profile-Folders is not easy to find in different systems.)

2. My suggested method is to manually open the corresponding directory in the Project Folder by using the (Edit -> Preferences -> Folders...) of GIMP Menu.

I have updated the README file of SLOS-GIMPainter project.
If you don't understand, please see the Video Demo.