Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Replicating a path
(02-03-2022, 04:18 AM)teapot Wrote: Hi Ottia Tuota,

Thank you for the update. The distort is certainly much faster.  For my first flowers image in post #30, the old timing was approx. 327 seconds, and it's now approx. 19 seconds.

Great!
Hi,

I've been using replicate_path_along_path.py (v0.7 which is the current one) and finding it really good and useful. However I've just got a result with a small area of spacing I'm finding confusing while using a source path that's a rectangle half the width of the base path. If I add to the source path (in this example I added an arrow) to make it the same width as the base path I get the spacing I was expecting. I am using the following settings both times:

The length of copies 0
Number of copies 34
Tapering 0.0
Distort the copies to follow the Target path? Yes
Merge the copies? Merge all copies to one path
Use reversed version the the Target path? No

The spacing is identical except in the one place. Is this expected behaviour? Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(04-28-2022, 12:20 AM)teapot Wrote: The spacing is identical except in the one place. Is this expected behaviour? Thank you.

No. I shall look at this. Thanks for reporting.
(04-28-2022, 05:30 AM)Ottia Tuota Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 12:20 AM)teapot Wrote: The spacing is identical except in the one place. Is this expected behaviour? Thank you.

No. I shall look at this. Thanks for reporting.

I found the error. But it seems that I am unable to upload anything right now. I don't know the reason. So I cannot upload a new version of the plugin.

But you can fix it in some good editor (Notepad++) as follows. In the file replicate_path_along_path.py find line 1618:

Code:
                                    distance = stroke_length-current_length,

and change it to

Code:
                                    distance = leg_start,

Make sure that you do not change the indentation, otherwise the plugin will not be valid Python any more and will not run.
Quote:I found the error. But it seems that I am unable to upload anything right now. I don't know the reason. So I cannot upload a new version of the plugin.

Maybe Ofnuts can look at that

In the meantime the edited plugin zipped and attached

screenshot:  https://i.imgur.com/W6rRuo0.jpg
(04-28-2022, 12:18 PM)rich2005 Wrote:
Quote:I found the error. But it seems that I am unable to upload anything right now. I don't know the reason. So I cannot upload a new version of the plugin.

Maybe Ofnuts can look at that

Thank you, Rich, but I did not mean uploading to the forum but to the place where I have my plugins. There is now still the erronous version.

It was good of you to upload it here. I should have done that but didn't come to my mind.

Edit: Rich, I tested your version, and I am afraid you did the editing wrong. I attach here it again, hopefully this one is edited right:

.zip   replicate_path_along_path_0_7_1.zip (Size: 26.92 KB / Downloads: 77)
Ok, it is add the line not replace it. To avoid confusion the other file removed. Hope you get your archive up and working soon.

.xcf   ReplicateChanged.xcf (Size: 35.91 KB / Downloads: 87) With the modified version, I got this strange result.
xcf used in attachment.

[Image: 2bNzRzR.png]
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Hi Ottia Tuota,

Thank you very much for the fix. Using your upload in post #46 it's working fine now:

Ok, now I was able to upload the plugin to the the archive. It is now version 0.8 in the same place:

http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_replicate_...aster.html

(I have no idea what was wrong but it was something non-trivial. Luckily I got help from an expert.)

(04-28-2022, 03:16 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Ok, it is add the line not replace it. To avoid confusion the other file removed.  Hope you get your archive up and working soon.

Actually, it was replacing a line. You messed something, and you did in the same way that happens to me often. When it happens to me I use to think that it is the coming old age. But perhaps that is not the case if it happens to others too...

(04-28-2022, 03:49 PM)Krikor Wrote: With the modified version, I got this strange result.
xcf used in attachment.

I suppose it is those sharp corners. The distortion is done by my own approximation algorithm, and I know very well that it is rather rickety. It is no surprise that it may fail in difficult cases. There is no other remedy but to do manual corrections.