Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
500 times the same font
Hello!

When I open up the font selection dialog in gimp, I see about 599 entries with the name "Noto Sans ... " and something or the other, with an interesting looking thumbnail to the left. However, when cycling through all these fonts, the appearance of the text never changes. It's an almost comically bad user experience. It probably has something to do with localization or whatever, but .. yes it needs to be fixed. I'm scrolling through a single list with 1000nds of fonts, all looking exactly identical. This is the wrong way. It could be so simple, just let the user put fonts in a folder, and browse the folder from within the font dialog...

I looked into hacking a way around this, like manually editing the tags.xml file but... not convenient.... If there are any  other options, I'd love to hear about them. (adding tags via the interface, makes the interface freeze up.)

thnx !

ps I'm running linux mint 21.2
Install a font manager see: https://community.linuxmint.com/software...nt-manager

This my kubuntu 22.04 As you see, all those foreign language Noto variations disabled, plenty others as well. 332 in all.

There are also 4 User fonts, Rather than add fonts to the system folder, make a  ~/.fonts folder and put them there. Fonts specifically for Gimp only go in  ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts/
aha! yes this is exactly what I was looking for, thnx ! Smile
(01-02-2024, 07:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Install a font manager see: https://community.linuxmint.com/software...nt-manager

This my kubuntu 22.04 As you see, all those foreign language Noto variations disabled, plenty others as well. 332 in all.

There are also 4 User fonts, Rather than add fonts to the system folder, make a  ~/.fonts folder and put them there. Fonts specifically for Gimp only go in  ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/fonts/

Any procedure to disable them en masse? Asking for a friend... (who has already got a lot of them disabled, but a quick hack is always better)
Yes it worked! But users of mint must remember not to use 'software center' to install the font-manager. That one installs a flatpak, that doesn't work. (probably due to file permissions). Installing it via synaptic or apt install font-manager does work.
(01-02-2024, 08:14 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(01-02-2024, 07:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Install a font manager see: https://community.linuxmint.com/software...nt-manager

Any procedure to disable them en masse? Asking for a friend... (who has already got a lot of them disabled, but a quick hack is always better)

I wondered about that as well, and already having a look.

It looks like the user disabled list is held in ~/.config/fontconfig/conf.d/  the file 78-Reject.conf

If you want to try a transplant my file (zipped) attached.  Otherwise I can not see a shortcut such as "only latin fonts" or such

Attached Files
.zip   78-Reject.conf.zip (Size: 2.5 KB / Downloads: 31)