Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new gimp 2.10.38 appimages with python2
Maybe the last of the Gimp 2.10 series but my first AppImage made on Debian.
Built from a deb file, it uses all listed dependencies (part of the deb package spec). These AppImages are basically the same as installing Gimp with apt.

Python2 is included along with MathMap but it could be the last time for MathMap. It needs updating to GTK3 and the menu paths issue fixed.
I found GEGL has been expanded and now uses a lot more small libs than Gimp 2.10.36. I think people will like and use this improved GEGL.

There are two AppImages one for overlay (Ubuntu) and fuse (Debian). Tested on Ubuntu 22.04 and Debian 12 bookworm. I'm pretty sure it will not work on Ubuntu 24.04.
The fuse AppImage needs ' sudo apt install fuse-overlayfs '

https://github.com/TasMania17/Gimp-Appim...s/releases
Nice one. 90 MB package.
In a kubuntu 22.04 (VM), clean installation, no existing Gimp, not an exhaustive test but seems ok.

A couple of dependencies required, one for wmf images (libwmflite-0.2.so.7), I do not suppose many use wmf these days and libfftw3.so.3 for mathmap.

As a note I have a regular installation, kubuntu 22.04 with Gimp 2.10.38 (PandaJim PPA) and your older "jammy" launcher works fine. Thanks for these packages.
Thanks Rich, updated the files. (incrementally larger)

I was thinking when Gimp 3 comes out it would be possible to include python2 libs in an appimge for those people who never got around to updating their scripts.   Smile
(05-23-2024, 12:06 AM)Tas_mania Wrote: Thanks Rich, updated the files. (incrementally larger)

I was thinking when Gimp 3 comes out it would be possible to include python2 libs in an appimge for those people who never got around to updating their scripts.   Smile

That won't help because the interface is different, so Python scripts will never run as is on Gimp3
Quote:That won't help because the interface is different, so Python scripts will never run as is on Gimp3

Thanks ofnuts. I guess scheme will be gone as well? I noticed the Gimp 3 release missed Libre Graphics Meeting in May 9-12. It must be very close now.
The usual Released when it is ready, You might see a 3.0.0 release candidate in several months time but I doubt it will be "ready" Same as previous Gimp 2.2 through to 2.10 there will be plenty incremental releases to make it workable. However they do seem to have a splash screen ready (after all, you must get your priorities set)

This a 2.99.19 appimage from https://github.com/ivan-hc/GIMP-appimage...inuous-git

..and there is python and scheme  (and hooray, gluas as well)  Syntax is somewhat different to Gimp 2.10.
(05-23-2024, 09:11 AM)Tas_mania Wrote:
Quote:That won't help because the interface is different, so Python scripts will never run as is on Gimp3

Thanks ofnuts. I guess scheme will be gone as well? I noticed the Gimp 3 release missed Libre Graphics Meeting in May 9-12. It must be very close now.

Scheme stays, but many scripts will have to be updated (one big difference is that you can have several active layers)
Information 
Thanks Rich for the link to Ivan's release candidate appimage. I copied scripts and plug-ins to '.config/GIMP/2.99/' but none of them work. I'm glad I made that last appimage because I'm using it now and will be for awhile Smile
(05-23-2024, 11:51 PM)Tas_mania Wrote: Thanks Rich for the link to Ivan's release candidate appimage. I copied scripts and plug-ins to '.config/GIMP/2.99/' but none of them work. I'm glad I made that last appimage because I'm using it now and will be for awhile Smile

Well, in my opinion, your appimages will be in use even when Gimp 3.xx is finalized, even just to run old plugins and scripts, it is all about productivity. I still have a Gimp 2.8 for that purpose.  As Ofnuts pointed out the old plugins are not going to fly. There are one or two Gimp 3 examples around.

This one, for example. https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/b...esigner.py
and compare it with the old version. https://github.com/akkana/gimp-plugins/b...esigner.py

Finally, it did catch me out, no escaping it now, the plugin must be in a folder with the same name. Folder arrowdesigner contains arrowdesigner.py I can understand a plugin with several dependencies but a single file in its own folder....

I discovered Debian 12 loads the Ubuntu overlay appimages perfectly. With fuse-overlayfs installed both kinds of appimages work. With it uninstalled only the Ubuntu appimges work.

It looks like Debian now uses a kernel that supports overlay-fs.

Also if a Gimp appimage fails it still loads any installed Gimp. I think this is different to the 'Gimp loaders' I found by accident. They listed Gimp as a dependency and so were able to impose python2 and mathmap over installed Gimps that didn't have them.