Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Darktable Images Opening In Task Bar At Bottom Of Screen
I just installed a new Windows 11 Dell desktop computer and re-installed GIMP (version 2.10.36) and darktable (version 4.6.1).  I spent a long time figuring out how to get photo thumbnails to show up at the top of the screen again when I open photos in GIMP, as they did with my old computer.  However, the problem I cannot solve is this: when I open a raw image through GIMP from my photo files stored on my computer drive, the image loads first in darktable as it should, but the darktable window with the image appears at the bottom of my screen, in the task bar, in a tiny thumbnail.  In order to close it, so it will re-open in GIMP for editing, I have to hover my mouse over the tiny image and click on it to get it to move into the main GIMP layout in larger form.  The images are not opening in darktable in larger form on the main GIMP layout as they always did with my old computer.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing darktable, but that didn't help.

The attached image shows where the tiny thumbnail of the photo opens in darktable when I open a raw image in GIMP from my camera.  I've circled the tiny thumbnail of the darktable window that opens at the bottom of my screen when I open a raw image in GIMP.

How can I get the images to open in the darktable window within the main GIMP layout, so I can close them and they will re-appear in GIMP for editing as they should?  I can't find any menu item in GIMP or any preference item in darktable that will solve this issue.  Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated - there is no other online help addressing this issue that I can find.  Thanks!

I see that I cannot edit my original post, so I will add an update here.  I just discovered that the raw files I am opening on the new computer in GIMP are opening in darktable in a larger window, as they should - not only in a thumbnail in the task bar.  However, the problem is that the files are opening behind the GIMP window - so I cannot see them and cannot get to the "close" button (the "x") at the upper right corner of the darktable window to close it and allow GIMP to re-open the file for editing.  How do I get the darktable window to open in the GIMP program window, as it should, when I open a raw image in GIMP?
If, as you say they are opening behind the gimp window - minimise the gimp window. Then when you have closed the RT program you can maximise the Gimp window, hopefully you should see it then.
I use Raw Therapee not DarkTable and it works the same as you have said in the beginning. When you close the Raw Program it opens up in Gimp.

Smile
(05-04-2024, 03:54 AM)sallyanne Wrote: If, as you say they are opening behind the gimp window - minimise the gimp window. Then when you have closed the RT program you can maximise the Gimp window, hopefully you should see it then.
I use Raw Therapee not DarkTable and it works the same as you have said in the beginning. When you close the Raw Program it opens up in Gimp.

That’s what I’m doing to work around the issue now. But I’m not willing to do it indefinitely and every time I open a photo. I have tried substituting RawTherapee for darktable and RT works as it should. But the photo colors and exposure look way off on my screen when I open photos in RT. I’ll have to decide if I can live with using RT or whether it’s time to buy some photo editing software. 

Thanks for responding to my posts!
(05-05-2024, 03:34 PM)NorthernHarrier Wrote: I’ll have to decide if I can live with using RT or whether it’s time to buy some photo editing software. 

Yes, you might have to do that.

I do not have a Window 11 and of course DT + Gimp 2.10.36 works as expected in Win 10 so I can not comment. There are some old scripts/plug-ins that do "pop-under" after first use. Have you tried backing up your Gimp user profile and letting Gimp create a new default profile ?

You could ask on https://discuss.pixls.us/ where there is plenty DT discussion.
It might be worth trying Gimp 2.10.38 see: https://www.gimp.org/news/2024/05/05/gim...-released/

..which has this note... fixing issues with pop-up dialogs appearing behind the previous ones