Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concentric circles
Hello again everyone,

Today I am trying to make 120 concentric circle images. I want to start at 600x600 with a border of 2, then 598x598 with a border of 2, then 596x596 with a border of 2, etc.

I tried to use the shrink command but after I shrank my first circle by 2 the shrink option became ghosted and I could not continue. Any ideas why?

Of course a script to do this would be bestWink

I found this 
http://gimpchat.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6923
which points to a file on the registry but that is closed so then I went to github and I found an .html file talking about the script and then reading the .html file I found out that the script name is concentric-fill-selection_0.scm but searching for that got me nowhere.

Thanks
With several scripts of mine, mostly using paths
  • Create the inner circle path (circle selection, thenSelect > To path)
  • Duplicate and use the scale tool in "Transform: Path" mode to create the outer path
  • Use my ofn-path-inbetweener script to create all the intermediate paths
  • Use my ofn-stroke-fill-path script to render the circles (one layer per circle)
  • If necessary, use my ofn-export-layers script to export each layer to an image
Scripts are here (paths) and here (layers).

An animation with the created circles:

WOW, That is exactly what I want!

I have never used paths or scripts before so your instructions seem complicated but I hope to figure it out.

Thanks!
(05-12-2024, 06:17 PM)rinaldop Wrote: WOW, That is exactly what I want!

I have never used paths or scripts before so your instructions seem complicated but I hope to figure it out.

Thanks!

Consider that with paths and the scripts it took all of 4 minutes, so it it worth investing the time. Big Grin
Another option to achieve this result is Ottia Tuota's plugin - 'Replicate path by affine mapping'.
The plugin should be at the link http://kmarkku.arkku.net/Path_replicate_...aster.html

You create the first path-circle with a diameter of 600 px, then create the second path-circle with a diameter of 598 px (or if you prefer, use the Scale tool).
Then apply the plugin and indicate the number of copies desired, in this case 120 copies.

The plugin will generate the 120 concentric copies.

The hardest part will be applying a border to each path one by one.

Edited:

A small oversight on my part.

Using ofn-stroke-fill-path the process of creating borders for each path is done in the blink of an eye!
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Unlike the solutions presented previously, using the script mentioned by @rinaldop in post #1, there is no need for a path to be created in advance, just make a selection and run the script.

The selection can either be a geometric figure or something irregular.

Below I tried to generate a result as per the OP's request in post #1:

Quote:"I am trying to make 120 concentric circle images. I want to start at 600x600 with a border of 2, then 598x598 with a border of 2, then 596x596 with a border of 2, etc."

But this script does not maintain the uniformity of the circle at each concentricity.
In the end, the generated figure is no longer a circle. I would say an octagon.

In my previous post I had suggested the Ottia Tuota plugin as an option, but I realized that as the number of concentric circles increases, the distance (thickness) between the circles decreases. Thus avoiding a stable 2 px border;

Only with the ofn-path-inbetweener plugin was I able to produce the result as described by rinaldop.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.