Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fully Transparent Text + How To Create It?
This question was inspired by Meetdilip's recent thread about the rubber stamp plugin. Upon trying to create some extra transparent text to add into the results of the output of the rubber stamp plugin, I realized I had no idea how to create transparent text.

I managed to use the Layer Effect-Drop-Shadow filter to create a semi-transparent text addition to the output, but was hoping for fully transparent text effects just as the Rubber Stamp plugin creates.  To illustrate the failure I encountered, a red background was added to the image below.  As can be seen, the text/username "Altie" is not fully transparent.

[Image: FqccjBi.png]
All sorts of ways, you can just do a Layer -> Transparency -> Alpha to Selection on the text layer. Then clear the selection.
However, good practice at using layer masks. Gimp 2.10 can now apply a layer mask to a layer group

Make a layer group and add (drag) the text layer and the stamp layer into it.
Disable the visibility of the stamp layer for while the layer mask is created from the text layer
Onto the layer group and add a layer mask Layer -> Mask -> Add layer mask Choose "Transfer Layer Alpha Value and check the "Invert" option
That masks the text. Restore visibility to the stamp layer.
Add a background to verify..

Looks complicated but not at all. In 30 seconds. https://i.imgur.com/H7XyfPk.mp4
Precise and detailed instructions both in video form and as mini-text tutorials.  Thanks, Rich.  I took your advice and followed the layer group route and had the desired result.

[Image: 4XuZqGG.png][Image: Jlj2kyA.png]

It was fun learning that. 

I'm going to "officially" say that I just couldn't remember the alpha to selection option to save embarrassment because I really should have known that.  Big Grin
A non destructive way, allowed by a new layer mode in Gimp 2.10:
  • Put the text and its background (red disc) in a group
  • Add a layer mask to the text, init to white and render a turbulent plasma in it
  • Set the text layer blend mode toErase. This makes it act as an anti-mask on the image below, so the opaque part of the text will make its background transparent, and the image background will be seen
  • Add some contrast to the mask (used Curves, but Brightness/Contrast and Levels are also possible)

(05-27-2021, 11:25 AM)Ofnuts Wrote: A non destructive way, allowed by a new layer mode in Gimp 2.10:
  • Put the text and its background (red disc) in a group
  • Add a layer mask to the text, init to white and render a turbulent plasma in it
  • Set the text layer blend mode toErase. This makes it act as an anti-mask on the image below, so the opaque part of the text will make its background transparent, and the image background will be seen
  • Add some contrast to the mask (used Curves, but Brightness/Contrast and Levels are also possible)

Great, Ofnuts.  Right before I created this thread, I was growing frustrated with not being able to accomplish this.  I now have 3 different ways to do it; I'm going to save your instructions also.  I've saved so much of yours and Rich's advice in various threads, not just threads that I ask for help in.

This place is a fantastic resource for Gimp users.