Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GMIC install for Mac OS 10.13 worked
Ok. Have struggled with installing Gmic for GIMP (v 2.10.22) on Mac. After several days and hours of research, I was able to install on Mojave. There is a lot on the web about install failing, so I kept on digging. The reason I still use 10.13 is due to several other CAD and 3D software that will not run on newer Mac OS (I know, but Engineered Software was bought by Form Z and it's taking a long time to release the updated version, also I have a dwg converter that won't run on newer OS). Any way, I used the Macports installation (download the correct version for your OS). Install Macports then open Terminal (utilities folder) and paste the command listed on their website to start the install. The install takes a while, you can monitor via terminal to see what is being installed (the terminal command to view what is going on is also on Macports website and it allows to see where everything is going, USE IT, especially by the end, where terminal tells you exactly the path to the gmic files, believe me, I learned the hard way). Ok, after about 1 hour or more, I think, everything will be installed BUT, and this is a big BUT, the packages are installed on the ops/ directory which is NOT where GIMP 2.10 looks for plug-ins. You need to navigate to the ops/ directory (its the optional folder: Macintosh HD/opt/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plu-ins/gmic_gimp_qt) scan through that folder and find the gmic_qt file, copy that ifile into you applications folder for gimp (you have to right click on the app icon to "show contents") 
Path: Mackintosh/applications/gimp (the app)/contents/resources/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins once you are in that folder, you can copy the gmic_gimp_qt file by dragging it in. 
Restart your Mac, open GIMP and you'll see the GMIC plug-in in the filters folder at the very bottom; it's greyed out until there is an image to work on. 
Whew-it took me forever to figure this out. So far working OK. Still seeing if there are other files that need to be copied.
I think this may work for other, later OS's too, and maybe you don't need to do this for the latest GIMP update 2.10.33?
Anyway, I hope this helps
(02-02-2024, 09:06 PM)Robpared Wrote: you can copy the gmic_gimp_qt file by dragging it in. 
Restart your Mac, open GIMP and you'll see the GMIC plug-in in the filters folder at the very bottom;

Restarting the OS is a Microsoft thing... You don't need to restart your mac at this stage, just re-starting GIMP is enough, even on Microsoft's Windows as GIMP will load all plugin when starting it Wink

In all case thanks a lot for your tuto, for sure it will help.
Patrice
Congratulations on getting the plugin to work on your Mac. (Request) May I link your post to another site then?

Smile
(02-03-2024, 03:35 AM)sallyanne Wrote: Congratulations on getting the plugin to work on your Mac.   (Request) May I link your post to another site then?

Sure. I hope others can benefit. I couldn’t find the correct method anywhere, only bits and pieces.

(02-03-2024, 02:54 AM)PixLab Wrote:
(02-02-2024, 09:06 PM)Robpared Wrote: you can copy the gmic_gimp_qt file by dragging it in. 
Restart your Mac, open GIMP and you'll see the GMIC plug-in in the filters folder at the very bottom;

Restarting the OS is a Microsoft thing... You don't need to restart your mac at this stage, just re-starting GIMP is enough, even on Microsoft's Windows as GIMP will load all plugin when starting it  Wink

In all case thanks a lot for your tuto, for sure it will help.

Ok. I always re-start just to make sure. MacPorts installs a lot of files and wanted to make sure  the OS was OK