Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How To Add Color To A Object In A Black & White Halftone Image
I'm am trying to understand how to add color to a black and white halftone image (ex. a vase of red roses- the vase and all roses are in black and white halftone...except the middle rose will have the rose buds colored red), I initially tried cutting the image (the middle rose only) I wanted to added color out using the free select tool.

I then copied the extracted color objected (rose) and went about turning the image into a black and white halftone image.

I then tried to paste the color rose onto the half tone portion of the image however whenever I add the rose to the halftone design the rose becomes black and white.

Is this the incorrect approach to this design or is it not possible to create halftone black and white with a single object(s) in color?
If you paint over the image with a tool in Lighten only mode, then:
  • The white, which is always lighter than your color, is left untouched
  • The black, which is always darker that you color, is replaced.
So in effect you replace the black in your image by your color/ But keep in mind that you'll be limited by the initial half-toning:
  • Since you are painting with a lighter color than the black the half-toning was computed with, you result will be lighter
  • Dark colors may not be colored enough

Thanks for the reply, do I need to do anything other than create the halftime effect.
Then paint over the object I want color with using lighten only mode & white?

How do I access the lighten only mode and do I use the background white color to lighten?

Thanks again.
(08-08-2022, 12:20 PM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: Thanks for the reply, do I need to do anything other than create the halftime effect.

How do I access the lighten only mode and do I use the background white color to lighten?

Thanks again.

1) You don't use white, you use a color

2) Lighten only is a "Blend mode". There a two ways to use it: as a paint tool setting (right) or as a layer setting (left). To use it as a layer, add a layer above, set the layer to the blend mode, and paint on it with the paint tool in Normal mode. The benefit of using a layer is that you can paint, and then change the layer mode or layer opacity to find optimal settings, while if you use the paint tool on the original layer, you have to undo the painting to try new options.

(08-08-2022, 09:01 PM)Ofnuts Wrote:
(08-08-2022, 12:20 PM)Zodiak1970 Wrote: Thanks for the reply, do I need to do anything other than create the halftime effect.

Thanks again.

1) You don't use white, you use a color

2) Lighten only is a "Blend mode". There a two ways to use it: as a paint tool setting (right) or as a layer setting (left). To use it as a layer, add a layer above, set the layer to the blend mode, and paint on it with the paint tool in Normal mode. The benefit of using a layer is that you can paint, and then change the layer mode or layer opacity to find optimal settings, while if you use the paint tool on the original layer, you have to undo the painting to try new options.

Thanks for the picture instructions, for what I am doing with the initial photo image I have this process doesnt seem to work, atleast  how I am doing it-assuming I am not missing a step.

Would using a mask work?, I have tried before the issue I encounter is the half toning effect seems to override the mask.
I thought there should be a way to cut the color version of the object out then, halftone the entire image and then using mask overlay the color object back on to the halftone image however when I do that the color image returns to black and white.

I have attached a few images 

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

How do you expect adding color to a grayscale image? Try Image ➤ Mode ➤ RGB and try again Smile
(08-09-2022, 04:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: How do you expect adding color to a grayscale image? Try Image ➤ Mode ➤ RGB and try again Smile

I am trying to learn this as I go, I realize I may ask or being trying something that is really dumb, so I do appreciate the help.

I am back to being confused, there was an image posted here of flowers they appear to be in halftone( am I incorrect in understanding the way to create a halftone effect is with greyscale ?

This is how I get lost one thing does not connect in my mind and then everything seems out of place

i now understand to use  image-->mode-->rgb

how do i keep or create the halftone effect as in the picture in this thread?
Depending the result you are searching for, may be try:
Duplicate your image in the layer stack
Bottom image make your halftone Black and white

Then on the top image make your halftone in color ➤ Look a t the setting of the filter

Then on the top layer put a Mask ➤ Black , then  paint in white on the belt part

(08-10-2022, 05:21 AM)PixLab Wrote: Depending the result you are searching for, may be try:
Duplicate your image in the layer stack
Bottom image make your halftone Black and white

Then on the top image make your halftone in color ➤ Look a t the setting of the filter

Then on the top layer put a Mask ➤ Black , then  paint in white on the belt part

I have attached an image .....following your steps once I get to the mask(which I selected Mask icon next to the red X at far bottom right) I then selected the the paint brush tool and then white from FG/BG and went over the belt in the top layer of the 2 images.
With NO results......UGH!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(08-10-2022, 12:00 AM)Frankwpb1970 Wrote:
(08-09-2022, 04:11 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: How do you expect adding color to a grayscale image? Try Image ➤ Mode ➤ RGB and try again Smile

I am trying to learn this as I go, I realize I may ask or being trying something that is really dumb, so I do appreciate the help.

I am back to being confused, there was an image posted here of flowers they appear to be in halftone( am I incorrect in understanding the way to create a halftone effect is with greyscale ?

This is how I get lost one thing does not connect in my mind and then everything seems out of place

i now understand to use  image-->mode-->rgb

how do i keep or create the halftone effect as in the picture in this thread?

There are two meaning for "grayscale":
  • Your image is in RGB mode: it has the 3 color channels and pixel a represented by a RGB triplet but in all pixels R=G=B so the only visible color is gray, but you could change pixels to something where R≠G≠B and thus have other colors
  • Your image is in grayscale mode: it has a single channel, and a pixel is represented by a single value. You cannot add colors here. A benefit of this mode is that the image takes three times less memory...
In the case at hand your halftone image is the second kind of grayscale (the title bar of the image tells you the mode), so you cannot add color to it until you have changed it to the first kind, and you can change it with the Image ➤ Mode menu.