Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I make this image transparent
Hi. I want to make this image transparent: https://imgur.com/a/7z7WtzU

So it looks like this example: https://imgur.com/a/R0I8Z6M

I believe the way to do this is the use color to alpha but it doesn't give the desired result I want.

Anyone know how?
ok what I have done is this. 
1. First make sure your image has an alpha channel. Right click on the image in the layers dialog and click ' add alpha channel'
2. Using the fuzzy select tool, SelectFuzzy Select all of the black area around the outside. One click should do it. Grow the selection by 5 px then feather the selection by 15px.
3. Alpha to select changing the 'white' to black.
4. If there are other areas of the image you need gone do the same thing again.
Note: If all the selection doesn't go using alpha to select delete the selection.

Smile
That's the method I figured out myself, It's close but it's not exactly the same transparency as the example image.
Fuzzy select tool in addition mode, threshold ~20, feather edge 2
Select first the black in bottom rectangle where it's written "dangaronpa", then immediately go to Select > Remove holes, this action will remove the need to select inside letters...
then continue to select each letters and the circle on top of the "i", with the fuzzy tool

Create a new layer, put it underneath, then go to Select > grow 1 or 2 pixels, make sure the foreground  FG-BG-Swashes  is black then fill with black by going to Edit > Fill selection outline.
Now Select > None
In the layers' dialog select the top layer (original image), and go to Color > Color to alpha to remove all black from the original image (yes now it will work Wink )

Result :

If you want less blue, re-do a color to alpha but on the blue and play with sliders
Patrice
There are several ways to get what you want.
Basically it's as described in Sallyanne's and PixLab's posts.
You will use Fuzzy Select and Color to Alpha as your main tools, selecting the desired colors and deleting them or copying and pasting them into a new layer.

I started by selecting the outer black color and then deleted it.
Then I selected all the remaining black color, copied it and pasted it into a new layer.
While the selection was still active, I deleted this selection, leaving only the colors that were not black.
I did the same for the white color (DANGANRONPA) - and placed this text on a new layer.
I left the blue text outline alone on one layer so I could adjust the opacity.

Having all the parts separated into layers is just a matter of placing your art on a layer at the bottom of the layer stack and making minimal adjustments.

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.