Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to edit existing path?
I made my first path yesterday.
And exported the pic to a .jpg
All very well.
Opened the xcf today and there is all is, path and all.
I made the brush too wide. The path is too thick.
I want to make it narrower and perhaps move it a bit.
I've clicked paths/edit mode/design, then edit,  then move and done no good with any of them.  Can't make anything happen.
Then I've found the dockable dialog 'paths'  but that hasn't helped.
My cursor remains as a cross above an arc and with a small crossed circle next to it.
How do make this path thinner and move a bit of it ?
(04-20-2024, 07:25 AM)abrogard Wrote: I made my first path yesterday.
And exported the pic to a .jpg
All very well.
Opened the xcf today and there is all is, path and all.
I made the brush too wide. The path is too thick.
I want to make it narrower and perhaps move it a bit.

There are a few things there.
Are you stroking a single path ? Edit -> Stroke path where you can set a line width.
Anything where you might want to change at a later date, put it on a new transparent layer. Easy to edit.
Another question, How did you make the path ? Using the path tool or maybe via a selection.

Quote:I've clicked paths/edit mode/design, then edit,  then move and done no good with any of them.  Can't make anything happen.
Then I've found the dockable dialog 'paths'  but that hasn't helped.
My cursor remains as a cross above an arc and with a small crossed circle next to it.
How do make this path thinner and move a bit of it ?

You can move a path with the move tool, there is a paths mode
You do need to be right on top of the relevant part of the path, either a node (circle thing) or the lines connecting nodes. Then it is usually a key modifier - ctrl or alt or ... There is a list here: https://www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Working-with-Paths

It does take practice. This a 50 second demo; https://i.imgur.com/AKcH9Cq.mp4 Notice how the modifier keys ctrl / alt changes the cursor - adds a little + or a -
HI, thanks for this. Just read it Haven't looked at your links yet.
I used the path tool to make the path.
then i went to 'stroke path'.
the first time I did that nothing happened and I learned I needed to set the brush.
so did things with the brush options and tried again and I got a result: wide green path.
when I open the file again and look at it I don't see the nodes any more. I just see the wide green path.
I would like to be able to change the width of it and I would like to be able to correct where it goes (it is literally a path on a map).
Right now I have done it all again and got a better path on another instance but I'm still as inexpert as before, still can't modify.
even when I click 'edit path'.
So now I'll go check your links. Perhaps all will be explained there and I didn't need to put all this in here. Ah well. Smile
(04-20-2024, 11:08 PM)abrogard Wrote: HI,  thanks for this.  Just read it  Haven't looked at your links yet.
I used the path tool to make the path.
then i went to 'stroke path'.
the first time I did that nothing happened and  I learned  I needed to set the brush.
so did things with the brush options and tried again and I got a result:  wide green path.
when I open the file again and look at it I don't see the nodes any more.  I just see the wide green path.
I would like to be able to change the width of it and I would like to be able  to correct where it goes (it is literally a path on a map).
Right now I have done it all again and got a better path on another  instance but I'm still as inexpert as before,  still can't modify.
even when I click 'edit path'.
So now I'll go check your links.  Perhaps all will be explained there and I didn't need to put all this in here.  Ah well.  Smile

Make the path visible and makes sure it is the current path (selected in the path list). That should make it show up on the canvas as a thin red line.

Start the path tool.

Click close to the red line. This should make the path anchors appear and the path tool will then edit that path.

Also, you probably want to stroke in "Line" mode, which usually gives cleaner results than stroking with a paint tool.