Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to restore old yellowed photo
Hi all,

I have old colour photos in yellowed color but without scratch. My PC is connected to a 4K display and running Ubuntu 22.04 desktop

Please advise;
1) How to remove the yellowed color.
2) How to restore their original color
3) How to increase their sharpness

Thanks in advance

Regards

sample photo attached

Attached Files Image(s)

Are they really color photos? The histograms of the R/G/B channels look very similar, just shifted/stretched. So when you equalize the channels the 3 channels pretty overlap which usually means that the picture is grayscale:

Also, the gaps in the histogram hint that some processing has been done already?
(09-29-2023, 11:02 PM)Ofnuts Wrote: Are they really color photos? The histograms of the R/G/B channels look very similar, just shifted/stretched. So when you equalize the channels the 3 channels pretty overlap which usually means that the picture is grayscale:

Also, the gaps in the histogram hint that some processing has been done already?

The photo was displayed on the website and taken running screen shot.  If I download it on website the photo is very small therefore after incrasing its size on browsing I captured the photo in .png with screenshot.

Regards

Edit
===
I attach the file here which was download direct on the website

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

very little colour in it apart from grey/black /white.
You will find most coolour photos that are older may have a red tinge or green tinge to them, you can still see some colour underneath the tinge. Levels shows the colours there more. This looks more like a older black and white or sepia photo

Smile
(09-30-2023, 05:07 AM)sallyanne Wrote: very little colour in it apart from grey/black /white.
You will find most coolour photos that are older may have a red tinge or green tinge to them, you can still see some colour underneath the tinge. Levels shows the colours there more. This looks more like a older black and white or sepia photo

It is a colour photo.

Now I upload another photo captured at about the same time in London.  It was download direct from my website without touching.

Before posting my previous post, I have performed following tests:

A. On GIMP
1) Colors -> Curve
adjusting red/green/blue
2) Colors -> Hue-Saturation
Brightness-Contrast
3) Colors -> Curve
etc.

The yellowish color can be removed, some colors, such as grass, trees, etc can be restored. The photos are NOT very sharp after restoration.

B. AI Photo Editor online FREE
The result is worser than editing the photo on GIMP.

According to my recollection . I scanned the yellowish photos on Epson scanner and posted them on my website. Not all photos are so bad, only some of them.

I still have those yellowish photos and their negatives packed and stored on shelves. But it won't be easy for me to find them.

I have full knowledge scanning both photos and their negatives on mobile phone converting them to digital images. I have done them before. The mobile phone was nevigated via PC (Remote Desktop connection). I still have the fixture available.

But I have more than a thousand of photos and their negatives. It would take a long time to finish. Particularly the negatives, there is no marking on them indicating where they were captured.

Those photos were captured in the past when I travelled worldwide.

Suggestion would be appreciated.

Regards

I used 'Colours / Levels / Auto Input Levels ' and then optimise with the color pickers (black, white , grey). 

(09-30-2023, 06:45 AM)denzjos Wrote: I used 'Colours / Levels / Auto Input Levels ' and then optimise with the color pickers (black, white , grey). 
col-cast-reduction.py plug-in. More successful on this photograph, not ideal, but at least quick.

Attached Files Image(s)

Another option besides the ones suggested: recolor it manually. This can be also be used to "tweak" colors if a plugin doesn't make it come out correctly.

Step 1: turn your image to black and white. Save a copy, then export a "flattened" version to work with. If tweaking colors, use your colored image as a base instead! 
Step 2:  Put your image on the bottom layer of a brand new image.
Step 3: make a new transparent layer for each main things you want to color. For example, "tree leaves" and "tree bark" should be two different layers to make life easier on you. 
Step 4: Color the section's layer like a coloring book. Use the pencil tool with anti-aliasing OFF. This makes it so you can use the bucket tool later if you find out you need a different color than the one you picked. Save as you go, just in case.
Step 5: Set the colored layer to "multiply", "hard light", or "soft light" (play with these until you find the right one).
Step 6: Play with the opacity of the colored layer until it looks right. 
Repeat until it's all colored!

Use a brand new clean scan in a lossless format (ex: .PNG) every single time for best results. Yes, files can have errors in them, especially if they were in a lossy format like .JPG or .WEBP (which can be the worst IMHO). Stuff saved off web sites often are in lossy formats in order to save server space. A lossy format is small, but mistakes happen in the files over time. This makes the images less clean and harder to make nice. 

An AI or plugin is basically doing the recolor tactic from above, looking at the data in your picture to "guess" where to put the colors. You can try to use the AI colored ones along with your hand made work to try to make life easier. Sometimes, that is useful. If you have access to a tablet (even if it's small and cheap), use it: it will help you be more accurate.

How to turn an image black and white: 
I simply used "desaturate" to get a black and white version. Feel free to try "desaturate color to grey" as well, as sometimes one works better than the other. From there, I made four layers all of the same desaturated image but using different modes. Each layer does something different to help the overall look. If this isn't quite your taste, try making your own using "desaturate", then make copies of the layers and play with them until the image looks nice.

My layers:
Top layer: exclusion, 30% opacity. 
Layer 2: hard light, 56% opacity. 
Layer 3: lighten only, 50% opacity. 
Bottom: normal, 100% opacity. 

Your bottom layer always needs 100% opacity as a "canvas" for everything to build on. When you use multiple layers in different modes, you can make small changes that build up like paint on a canvas. Play with different layering and modes to find your best version.

[Image: 1-desat.png]
Hi denzjos and david,

Thanks for your help.  Would it be possible to enhance the sharpness of the photo ?

I upload the retored result made by me in the past.  Some color has be restored but the photo is NOT sharp.

Would it be possible to upgrade the resolution?

Regards

(09-30-2023, 07:17 AM)Greymalkin Wrote: Another option besides the ones suggested: recolor it manually. This can be also be used to "tweak" colors if a plugin doesn't make it come out correctly.

Step 1: turn your image to black and white. Save a copy, then export a "flattened" version to work with. If tweaking colors, use your colored image as a base instead! 
Step 2:  Put your image on the bottom layer of a brand new image.
Step 3: make a new transparent layer for each main things you want to color. For example, "tree leaves" and "tree bark" should be two different layers to make life easier on you. 
Step 4: Color the section's layer like a coloring book. Use the pencil tool with anti-aliasing OFF. This makes it so you can use the bucket tool later if you find out you need a different color than the one you picked. Save as you go, just in case.
Step 5: Set the colored layer to "multiply", "hard light", or "soft light" (play with these until you find the right one).
Step 6: Play with the opacity of the colored layer until it looks right. 
Repeat until it's all colored!

Use a brand new clean scan in a lossless format (ex: .PNG) every single time for best results. Yes, files can have errors in them, especially if they were in a lossy format like .JPG or .WEBP (which can be the worst IMHO). Stuff saved off web sites often are in lossy formats in order to save server space. A lossy format is small, but mistakes happen in the files over time. This makes the images less clean and harder to make nice. 

An AI or plugin is basically doing the recolor tactic from above, looking at the data in your picture to "guess" where to put the colors. You can try to use the AI colored ones along with your hand made work to try to make life easier. Sometimes, that is useful. If you have access to a tablet (even if it's small and cheap), use it: it will help you be more accurate.

How to turn an image black and white: 
I simply used "desaturate" to get a black and white version. Feel free to try "desaturate color to grey" as well, as sometimes one works better than the other. From there, I made four layers all of the same desaturated image but using different modes. Each layer does something different to help the overall look. If this isn't quite your taste, try making your own using "desaturate", then make copies of the layers and play with them until the image looks nice.

My layers:
Top layer: exclusion, 30% opacity. 
Layer 2: hard light, 56% opacity. 
Layer 3: lighten only, 50% opacity. 
Bottom: normal, 100% opacity. 

Your bottom layer always needs 100% opacity as a "canvas" for everything to build on. When you use multiple layers in different modes, you can make small changes that build up like paint on a canvas. Play with different layering and modes to find your best version.

[Image: 1-desat.png]
Hi Greymalkin,

Lot of thanks for your detail advice and your time spent to help me.  I'll test your steps on my yellowish photos later.

Would following AI plugin suitable for GIMP ?

GIMP-ML: AI for GNU Image Maniputation Program
https://kritiksoman.github.io/GIMP-ML-Docs/index.html

intel/openvino-ai-plugins-gimp
https://github.com/intel/openvino-ai-plugins-gimp

Thanks

Regards

I took a look at:
https://youtu.be/ylIyA6wQGcY?si=IImHxA4w4hBsMPD2 (video), whose tutorial can be found at https://www.alexburkephoto.com/blog/2019...r-negative -film

Also in this other video
https://youtu.be/LXuwnt5ba8M?si=5KMVN9-Bl3byqOhT

But in these techniques (PS) there is a feature that I didn't understand well: when applying curves you use ALT+click, which doesn't work in Gimp.

So the best results I obtained were those that follow the approach mentioned by denzjos.
In the image below I used this approach followed by the use of G'MIC - Color Presets - PIXLS.US(31) - Whiter Whites (default)

Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.