Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use the ctrl+^ shortcut in Inkscape?
Question 
Hi!

In Inkscape it is possible to perform some Boolean functions (I think this is the term) both via the menu and keyboard shortcuts.

For Union (ctrl+ +) or difference (ctrl+ -) I can easily get results both via the menu and via the keyboard.

However, for Exclusion (ctrl+ ^) or Intersection (ctrl+ *) I can only do it via menus (Path - Exclusion).  Confused

I have tried to produce the ctrl+^ key combination in several ways; numeric keypad (8 key), ~/^ key, but no results.

Would anyone know how to make these shortcuts work via keyboard? Possibly I'm missing something very simple (at least from the Inkscape developers' point of view).

Thanks.
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
I can only remark on linux and a UK keyboard but....

Some that show in the menu as ctrl+^ (exclusion) are shifted ctrl+shift+^ and the same ctrl+shift+* (intersection)
(12-03-2023, 01:09 PM)rich2005 Wrote: I can only remark on linux and a UK keyboard but....

Some that show in the menu as ctrl+^ (exclusion) are shifted ctrl+shift+^ and the same ctrl+shift+* (intersection)

Hi rich2005,

I had already tried this key combination (ctrl+shift+^) previously in my attempts, without success.

I tried again now after your suggestion, I even changed the keyboard from the ABNT2 PT standard - to ENG, English keyboard (United States), but nothing happened either with no results.

I then tried to restart Inkscape after changing the keyboard from PT ABNT2 to ENG (US)... No results.

My next attempt will be to install the English (United States) language on the PC and try again with the keyboard in ENG mode. Doing this now (installing language..).
How about a new shortcut ?

Quote:Change keyboards shortcuts
In Edit > Preferences > Interface > Keyboard Shortcuts, you can either select one of the predefined keymaps, or you can define your own keyboard shortcuts and save them. The shortcuts that you change will be saved in the file default.xml in your user Inkscape preferences' "keys" directory.

You can also manually edit the file <Inkscape install directory>/share/keys/default.xml, or manually add a custom keys/default.xml in the user Inkscape preferences directory to define new shortcuts or remap (override) shortcuts from the shared keymap file.

rich2005,

The installation of the ENG-US language on the system has finished and nothing has changed, I still have no response to keyboard commands using the ctrl+^ and/or ctrl+shift+^ keys

I definitely have no clue what to do.

Maybe it would be easier for me to research how to change this shortcut to a functional key combination, perhaps ctrl+5, or something else that is no longer being used.

Anyway, thanks for the help!

PS: I think I will now uninstall the language I just installed, as it served no useful purpose, and I see no reason to have it.
Our posts crossed, see #4
Smile 
(12-03-2023, 01:57 PM)rich2005 Wrote: Our posts crossed, see #4

Yes, I should have updated the page before writing my previous post.

But the important thing is that it worked!
Thanks to your image, I went straight to the editing room and made the change.
Now it works perfectly.

I'll do the same for the Intersection function, I just need to find a suitable key to replace the * - asterisk.

I've been trying to find a solution for this since yesterday, as I'm working on a project where I really need these shortcuts and using menus ends up being a bit tedious.

rich2005, thank you very much, as always I really appreciate your help!

PS:  This time I updated the page before posting :-)