Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Hue" and "Saturation" Mode Names
I used to use "Hue" and "Saturation" layer modes, according to this tutorial, but the GIMP labels seem to have been renamed.
What are the respective ones called?
(02-07-2024, 04:33 AM)Taylor-eOS Wrote: I used to use "Hue" and "Saturation" layer modes, according to this tutorial, but the GIMP labels seem to have been renamed.
What are the respective ones called?

HSV Hue and HSV saturation respectively.

You can try to replace them with LCH Hue and LCH Chroma that are essentially the same concepts, but using a color model which is a bit closer to the way we perceive things.

Word of caution: some tutorials you find on the web are old, and this site appears to be quite obsolete. There are likely better ways to do things in Gimp 2.10.
As usual I do not fully get the question. Assuming the tutorial http://gimps.de/en/tutorials/gimp/pictur.../index.htm  which references the Hue Saturation tool.

...must be from Gimp 2.8 era...then using  Colors -> Hue Saturation I can see no difference, the only addition being the Gimp 2.10 blending option.  Importing a Gimp 2.8 image will set the layer group mode to Legacy and you can change this to Default.  Examples using the first setting given, H=0 L=60 S=-70  Inset is Gimp 2.8 No layer modes in there.

If not the issue, just for my peace of mind, can you post an example screenshot, or point to the part of the tutorial which uses layers.
or is it a scripting question.
Hi rich2005,
I believe that in general the tutorial refers to the Hue_Saturation found in Colors - Hue - Saturation...

There is however a reference to layers when the tutorial talks about how to remove smudge under the eyes:

"Duplicate the original layer, move the copy to the top of all layers. Set the layer mode of the moved layer to Hue to maintain the natural hue and colors of the picture. Duplicate the upper layer, set the layer mode of the duplicated layer to Saturation to maintain the natural saturation of colors in the picture."
Samj PortableGimp 2.10.28 - Win-10 /64.
Ok, got it.  As ofnuts says it is HSV....

If you take a Gimp 2.8 file and open in Gimp 2.10 the legacy layer modes transfer as this.

Overlay becomes soft-light (l)

Gimp 2.8 example attached:

Attached Files
.xcf   eye-test-28.xcf (Size: 67.87 KB / Downloads: 29)